Butchers in the 1950s

Stunmon

Who remembers the wonderful butchers shops when I was growing up in the 1950s. I remember the pork pies from Friedrichs at Firth Park and The Wicker. Mother having joints of pork 'dipped' so the meat was lovely and pink.

No concession to Health and Safety then!! Large carcasses hung up on the wall behind the counter.

I bet there's some tales to tell!!

Spencers Butchers at Firth Park was great. My school mate John Spencer worked there with his dad  after he left school. His son worked there too for a time before it closed when John  died I think.

Watson's butchers (next door to Friederick's )on Bellhouse Rd was our family butcher for very many years until our allegiance went to Senior's at Sheffield Lane Top on account of his giving our church lunch club a nice discount on all meat purchases!

Ken Green on Spital Street was our local butcher, I remember once he was advertising Four Legs of Venison for £10. but dad said "it was too dear"

On 07/12/2018 at 22:58, Pitsmoor Col said:

Ken Green on Spital Street was our local butcher, I remember once he was advertising Four Legs of Venison for £10. but dad said "it was too dear"

Boom Boom! lol

Wouldn’t  that be eight legs though?!....

used to buy my rolled brisket for the Soda Fountain from Malcolm Smiths in castle market it was kept in brine for 10 days beautiful

On 07/12/2018 at 22:58, Pitsmoor Col said:

Ken Green was my uncle. His wife Elsie also worked in the shop. She is still going, she's 102 years old now. My mother, who was Elsie's sister used to send me on the bus every Saturday to go and pick up the weeks meat.