Hartshead Square

emilylouise

Hi, I was wanting to look into the history and heritage of Hartshead square except there isn’t really anything online, can anyone tell me anything or suggest where I could find this information?:)

I would suggest a starting point of Robert Eadon Leader's two books "Sheffield in the Eighteenth Century" and "Reminiscences of Old Sheffield", both of which are available free as Google ebooks.

The index of these books show there are quite a few mentions:

399082178_EighteenthCentury.png.ed983150fc246303b0053290591a2275.pngReminiscences.png.d3a4666d16a6c1e819e80d101176d0c0.png

• Thanks 1

I agree with Edmund  , there is a lot of information in those two interesting books and you could possibly understand that information better by cross checking the descriptions with old maps such as the 1888 fire insurance map below which can be found at this link.     -----------  

http://gallery.bl.uk/viewall/default.aspx?e=Fire insurance maps and plans Yorkshire and Humber&n=20&r=10  

hartshead.png

hartshead_2.png

Also if you go to NLS Georeference maps on the link below you can use the slider bottom left of the page to bring up a modern map over the old ones. You will see that Hartshead has changed a lot, it could be said that it has moved.         ----------------        

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=19&lat=53.3837&lon=-1.4676&layers=168&b=1

Hartshead Square is a new innovation, for some reason the council calls new areas " Squares" this particular one has only been in existence for around fifteen years or so and that isn't a historic area as Hartshead is. Even that name has been made into one word when it was originally two. Some of the threads started on here aren't really what you could call history, in fact quite a few are living memory.

On 17/11/2018 at 07:10, tozzin said:

Some of the threads started on here aren't really what you could call history, in fact quite a few are living memory.

I disagree. Today's memories are tomorrow's history. Take any event you remember in detail and compare it to what you can find about an event 100 years ago. It's memory that brings the subject to life.

Anyone who saw the Peter Jackson film last wekend will see it as history, but for those in it, it was living memory.

Yesterday was history, today will be history tomorrow! What happened seventy years ago is still a part of my "recent" history, yet to my Grandchildren it really is almost "ancient "stuff!

• Like 1

On 16/11/2018 at 19:23, emilylouise said:

Hi, I was wanting to look into the history and heritage of Hartshead square except there isn’t really anything online, can anyone tell me anything or suggest where I could find this information?:)

A description of Hartshead from "The Hall of Waltheof by Sidney Oldall Addy 1893"

"It seems strange to find this narrow passage, not more than five feet wide, described as "a certain street," for its only title to that name is its stone pavement. It is one of the oldest and quaintest "streets" in Sheffield, and resembles a "wynd" in Edinburgh, with houses on both sides irregularly disposed and huddled together. One of the houses, built of stone, and with old timber and plaster work over the "street," is not later in date than the early part of the seventeenth century. The curious thing about it is that it goes right over the "street" like a little "Bridge of Sighs." This bridging over of narrow alleys or lanes was not uncommon in the old parts of Sheffield, and there are two of these "bridges" in the Hartshead. These alleys were very snug and quaint places to live in, but the want of proper air and light must have been distressing. Some of the rooms on the ground floors of the houses have been paved with boulders."