Default Font Size.

boginspro

It may be just me, my eyes are not what they were,  but on some posts/comments I struggle to read them without zooming the page.  I just wondered if the default font size could be increased slightly,  I understand that this can be done using the size button when posting or editing but members with good eye sight will not think of doing so. 

• Like 1

Along with a slight increase in size, it may be an idea for the site designers to consider using a font designed especially for reading on a PC / Tablet screen?

It appears the default font style on this site is ‘Helvetica’, which was designed for print, as it pre-dates the computer age (1957)

The fonts Georgia (1993) and Verdana (1996) were designed specifically for reading on a screen, rather than print.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_(typeface)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verdana

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helvetica

It may be worth trying three lines of text (... the quick brown fox.... etc.) in the three font styles and canvass opinion from members on their ‘readability’?

4F8EFFDB-26D3-420F-AD7B-09A10FBAFDDE.png

61AFE903-45DF-4737-98E2-798CFE998E73.png

9F39EAB9-3256-4D98-9D3E-7941B40D0FB7.png

Thanks @SteveHB

That’s a perfect case in point, as the screenshot on the left is much more ‘readable’ at the same font size. Clearly they are different fonts (e.g. look at the lower case j’s) and I’m sure that the SH resident font is Helvetica. It would have been more obvious if the posts in both panels were identical. Does anyone else agree that the left is easier to read than the right?

Question is, what the font on the left? Or am I imagining things?........ :unsure:

1 hour ago, RLongden said:

Thanks @SteveHB

That’s a perfect case in point, as the screenshot on the left is much more ‘readable’ at the same font size. Clearly they are different fonts (e.g. look at the lower case j’s) and I’m sure that the SH resident font is Helvetica. It would have been more obvious if the posts in both panels were identical. Does anyone else agree that the left is easier to read than the right?

Question is, what the font on the left? Or am I imagining things?........ :unsure:

Below is an extract from the relevant code relating to the above post which appears to be the default size etc. In my post which started this topic and now  I have increased the size to 18. 

As I am sure you know browsers vary, but as I understand it, unless set otherwise will normal select the first font in the code if it is available on the system used, if not it will go through the fonts until it finds an available one . As you can see, on my system Firefox settles for Helvetica    -------------

----------------------------------- 

font size: 14px,
  font style: normal,
  font weight: 400,
  font variant: normal,
  font family: \Helvetica Neue\, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif,
  rendered font family : Helvetica,

tab domain: www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk

------------------------------------

Well there you go! Thanks @boginspro for stripping out the page source code for this post. It’s not easy for me to do on my iPad and I’m too lazy to fetch my Mac :rolleyes:

14px (pixel count) is equivalent to 10.5pt type on paper, so unless one has eyes like a sh*thouse rat, it’s always going to be difficult to decipher the text?!

The weight and variant are as expected, so not bold, italic, etc.

I still believe that a font that was easier on the eye would be a better option, rather than blow up the font size to an extent that one could see it from space!?! lol (a bit like my examples above..... and below)

A1B6230C-47E4-4E86-A155-357A44624690.jpeg

Has anyone been on Sheffield Forum recently? They were closed down on Sunday for a new update and surprise surprise it looks very much like our Sheffield History Forum but with different colouring. It is now easier on the eye but still has it's many trolls.