Tram 132 on Ebay but where exactly?

boginspro

Another Ebay picture that has me stumped but I am sure someone on here will work it out. Topless tram 132 some time between 1901 and 1904 when its top deck was covered, but where exactly?

QUOTE FROM VENDOR -  This is an uncaptioned real photo postcard by an unknown publisher. It depicts a main road in , it is thought , the Nether Edge area of Sheffield with tram No. 132 making its way to or from Tilsley (Tinsley). Good unused condition and probably rare.- UNQUOTE

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163362305745?ul_noapp=true

132 .jpg

My first thought is Wostenholm Road near the junction with Priory Place, but I don't have time to look in more detail at the moment.

Yes, I think you have it right, there are flags visible which could date it to the Coronation of Edward VII (1902). http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?eywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s16488&pos=13&action=zoom&id=19204 shows the same tram in 1904 with covered top. A clearer,sharper version of this scene is on page 100 of C C Hall's ' Sheffield Transport' .

The white gable distant left of picture could be what is currently No. 57 Wostenholm Road. What is a little confusing is that only one track is visible as the OS map of that period shows double track at this point. Having looked for possible locations on the Fulwood routes nothing with single track seemed to fit. Certainly nothing near the Nether Edge Terminus fits as the poles are on the East side of the road there.

With respect, I'm not convinced that the photo is on Wostenholm Road? I found another image on PS from the opposite direction, at the junction with Priory Place and Albany Road, but several details in this image contradict the original (Catenary Poles on wrong side, wall and trees on Priory Place side, etc.)

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s16495&pos=4&action=zoom&id=19211

Looking at the tram routes of the time, the Tinsley <> Carbrook <> City <> Millhouses (and eventually Beauchief) route, I have a theory that this image might be at the end of Abbeydale Road, where it becomes Abbeydale Road South, at the junction of Archer (prev. Station) Road and Springfield Road. The junction looked a lot different then and some of the buildings have now gone, whereas others weren't even built. The tram tracks are single at this point and the catenary poles are on the right side (and the same design).

• I marked on a map where I think the photograph was taken from and in which direction (the orange arrow)
  • The red circle is now the Abbey Frier (note the pitch of the roof, the upper windows and high lintels)
  • The green circle are buildings that have been demolished when the junction was widened
  • The blue circle shows the building that is now 'Chirofirst' (note the steep pitch of the roof and the top floor, double mullioned window)
  • The purple circle is the building (now demolished) beyond the junction of Archer Road (the building that is now 'La Scala' restaurant is out of shot on the left)
  • The last photo shows tram No.60 travelling in the opposite direction to the Millhouses terminus, with the buildings marked in the same colour coding.

I may be mistaken, but the dip and slight bend in the road look right, as do the buildings that are visible in shot. Of course, I may be a million miles away, but maybe others have an opinion?

image.png

Screenshot 2018-11-18 at 11.03.08.jpg

830968161_132.jpg.585577ea43dd94225d2154f83e877354.jpg

Screenshot 2018-11-18 at 10.51.40.jpg

map.gif

• Like 1

That looks rather more convincing than my first suggestion. I based it to some extent on the belief that at such an early date the original Tinsley to Nether Edge route was still operating, but I was mistaken. As early as 1901 Tinsley was linked with Millhouses, so the Millhouses terminus seems a likely answer, especially with the additional evidence presented.

10 hours ago, RLongden said:

Looking at the tram routes of the time, the Tinsley <> Carbrook <> City <> Millhouses (and eventually Beauchief) route, I have a theory that this image might be at the end of Abbeydale Road, where it becomes Abbeydale Road South, at the junction of Archer (prev. Station) Road and Springfield Road. The junction looked a lot different then and some of the buildings have now gone, whereas others weren't even built. The tram tracks are single at this point and the catenary poles are on the right side (and the same design).

I had actually considered that location but could not reconcile the old and modern views, but after having looked at your evidence I think you  have solved another mystery  RLongden ,  The tall gable looks quite convincing.

Modern clip Picture Sheffield      ---------     http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;t06804&amp;pos=7&amp;action=zoom&amp;id=118423

gables.png.jpg