Underground railways.

Waterside Echo

A letter published in this mornings "Daily Mail" from a retired rail industry engineer was about underground railways.  It mentions us.  "Sheffield at one time had a large underground station, it was on a main line that ran right under the city" any ideas?  W/E. 

1 hour ago, Waterside Echo said:

A letter published in this mornings "Daily Mail" from a retired rail industry engineer was about underground railways.  It mentions us.  "Sheffield at one time had a large underground station, it was on a main line that ran right under the city" any ideas?  W/E. 

There is a post here about a proposed underground railway.             ---------------            

Hi @boginspro, I saw that and wondered myself. Hopefully someone on here can provide an answer.

@SteveHB, now you mention that, I remember the proposal but the letter infers that the 'large underground  station' actually existed rather than being proposed.

I wonder if it has something to do with any link between Midland stn and Victoria stn, didn't there used to be some goods terminal below Victoria (?) but I may well be completely wrong with that

On 08/11/2018 at 12:23, Peter Walker said:

I wonder if it has something to do with any link between Midland stn and Victoria stn, didn't there used to be some goods terminal below Victoria (?) but I may well be completely wrong with that

Perhaps the large galleries the Midland station sits on were planned to be part of a underground system.  W/E.

There used to be a line in a tunnel running from Bridgehouses to Wicker station, going under Spital Hill. There was also a plan for a huge two level station linking the two lines (where the line from the Midland Station passed under the Victoria line, but this never came to anything.