Mystery Location Postcard on Ebay.

boginspro

Mystery location postcard on Ebay described as :-

"Nostalgic Sheffield postcard shows a Horse drawn wagon c1913
The card was specially commissioned for Sheffield Shines a council project.
Card produced by Hedgerow publishing
Nice card in good unposted condition. Larger size than usual for a postcard 165mm x 110mm."

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nostalgic-Sheffield-postcard-Horse-drawn-wagon-1913-Card-by-Hedgerow-publishing/392163203834?_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20170221122447%26meid%3De8e63606850a49be93d08c985b4ac892%26pid%3D100752%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D392163212823%26itm%3D392163203834&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

crapper_horse_and_cart.jpg

crapper_rev.jpg

9 hours ago, Edmund said:

My suggestion would be somewhere on Whitehouse Lane.  Crapper's base at 47 Langsett Road backed onto Whitehouse Lane, and PictureSheffield have a photo showing similar housing (3 stories, shutters on the windows) 

That was my very first thought and seems a strong possibility, but I couldn't match what appears to be a raised area in front of the houses. I found one or two other hills in the area with similar houses but again couldn't get anything conclusive.

What about below Langsett Road, as it runs into Infirmary Road?

This is Wood Street on the corner of Langsett Road at 50-52, just down the road from his premises

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;v00909&pos=6&action=zoom&id=42292

3-storey, shuttered windows, arched doors and gennels........ it must be around those streets, surely? 

image.png

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, RLongden said:

This is Wood Street on the corner of Langsett Road at 50-52, just down the road from his premises

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;v00909&pos=6&action=zoom&id=42292

3-storey, shuttered windows, arched doors and gennels........ it must be around those streets, surely? 

Yes, I agree that it's likely to be close to his premises, I would guess that is the boss holding the horse, and the horse looks to be dressed up for the occasion.  It's that stone wall and railings that have me licked though the railings could have vanished in the war.

1 hour ago, RLongden said:

Aerial view from 1938. See anywhere that looks likely??? 

I can't really, the bottom of Whitehouse Lane looks like there may be an area in front of some of the houses but the picture posted by  Edmund  shows the three story ones being right up to the pavement.   From memory in my time there were houses like this further up the hill but it doesn't seem logical that this posed picture would be much outside the area of that aerial view image.

7 hours ago, Voldy said:

Is this the answer? Nos. 51 to 57 Whitehouse Lane.

Looking at this photo (Britain from above) the gable end doesn't look tall enough for three storeys

363946926_WhitehouseLane.png.e4fa58077e786d5453127963cf4d0016.png

• Like 1

Yes Edmund, I agree, the gable you ring is No. 65. The original photographer has very skillfully cropped what he wanted to include in his finished frame. My attempted enlargement of that part of the air photo hopefully supports this location.

image.png.22139b19bac78a8b896cbb5b49e6b106.png

• Like 1

I think that's another mystery solved, great work again everyone.  The passages through the back to backs line up and the windows for number 59 look lower even though going up the hill, so presumably that's why the end gable looks low, the last four not being back to back.

On 07/11/2018 at 19:17, RLongden said:

image.png

Even more amazing, look at the building at the top of Wood Street, where it meets Infirmary Road. The top window and distinctive rhomboid lintels.....

Now look at the building in the modern street view. The top window is still there and the middle window has been bricked up, but the lintel remains!

5933DD57-7F89-491B-BC60-01A024FFA09B.jpeg

11D04DD0-21D7-4646-A718-2B10A215B08E.jpeg

E59EFBE2-969D-4B56-A7B3-EDBDC225C34B.jpeg

AFFD0ACF-E478-49D2-82CA-C22AA6D5E007.jpeg

• Like 1

Well spotted  RLongden  ,  but what a change to the area, even since I last saw it. To me it looks like they have made that building and the whole area plain, boring and desolate.  The round corner has gone, perhaps brickies can't  do that any more

That’s SO true of virtually every building nowadays, whether Sheffield or anywhere else.

The ‘old’ (pre-WWII) and even ancient buildings have exquisite brickwork, masonry and features, in fact it makes you wonder how they actually managed to build some of these in pre-mechanised days?

Nowadays, it’s a case of throwing up some girders, maybe some block work, attaching some curtain walling, a splash of render / paint if we’re lucky and ‘slap-bang-wallop’ another ‘monstrous carbuncle’ graces the skyline.

There are precious few exceptions, which in Sheffield, one could count on maybe one hand?

For example, I know the Grosvenor was no oil painting, but have you seen what’s going up on that site? The Moor is looking more like Legoland every day.... :)

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 22:27, boginspro said:

I can't really, the bottom of Whitehouse Lane looks like there may be an area in front of some of the houses but the picture posted by  Edmund  shows the three story ones being right up to the pavement.   From memory in my time there were houses like this further up the hill but it doesn't seem logical that this posed picture would be much outside the area of that aerial view image.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s13596&pos=10&action=zoom&id=16459

I am not convinced the post card is of Whitehouse Lane or Wood Street as you say there were houses with the built up fronts and three stories in other surrounding streets. I'm trying to think back when we used to play along those streets. I think there were some houses like this on Cleveland Street  or maybe Woollen Street. There definitely were a few on parts of Mushroom Lane but the picture on the post card looks a bit too clean for Mushroom Lane [ see above picturesheffield ]