100 Years Celebration of Our Lost Lads

tozzin

While researching for an article, I came across this photo of wounded Belgium  soldiers entering the Base Hospital on Collegiate Crescent, on looking at the photo I noticed stiff brushes protruding near the wheels, presumably to brush off mud and other stuff. The roads must have been a dire state to fit these brushes. The photos show a then and now scenario.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

As an aside, I wonder if the word, "celebrate", is really appropriate when we consider the millions of lives lost and even more left crippled both physically and mentally by the War? Perhaps " commemorate" is a better word?

With most of Belgium ,with the exception of a small area around the coast occupied by the Germans, I often wonder how the Belgian army managed to find replacement troops. Any ideas?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lysander said:

As an aside, I wonder if the word, "celebrate", is really appropriate when we consider the millions of lives lost and even more left crippled both physically and mentally by the War? Perhaps " commemorate" is a better word?

With most of Belgium ,with the exception of a small area around the coast occupied by the Germans, I often wonder how the Belgian army managed to find replacement troops. Any ideas?

That word isn't mine, it's being used by most of the media at the moment, I should have used the word Remembered .

Perhaps the more neutral "Mark" would be an appropriate verb.

On the other hand, the final end of this terrible conflict must indeed have been just cause for celebration.

I am both an active poppy seller and member of the Royal British Legion so please forgive my sensitivity over the word. I prefer the word "honour"