Jump to content

Chapel Walk in Sheffield City Centre


Serendipity

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, ewanarm said:

Chapel Walk is another example of the mismanagement and lack of investment by successive councils. Here is an ideal opportunity to create a vibrant thoroughfare of small independent shops like the Shambles in York or the Lanes in Brighton. Attract new businesses with reduced rents and incentives to come and trade.

But don't worry we'll soon have the shipping containers at the top of Fargate to admire!!



Nothing duller than people moaning about the council to be fair - let's save that for facebook groups and not on here 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/05/2022 at 15:40, Sheffield History said:



Nothing duller than people moaning about the council to be fair - let's save that for facebook groups and not on here 

If they are a contributory factor in Chapel Walk losing its former lustre, the comment seems relevant.

 

But I have no idea if, or how, the council is culpable here. perhaps Mr. Arm would explain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/05/2022 at 09:48, Athy said:

If they are a contributory factor in Chapel Walk losing its former lustre, the comment seems relevant.

 

But I have no idea if, or how, the council is culpable here. perhaps Mr. Arm would explain.

Perhaps I am being a bit harsh on the council and they are investing heavily in the city centre with the Heart of the City project and they have announced plans for the regeneration of Fargate and purchased some of the buildings but I just feel that an opportunity has been missed to create an area for small independent traders to breathe some new life into Chapel Walk. I do not want to criticise the council and be seen as a 'whinger' and hopefully the current investment will help re-vitalise streets like Fargate and Chapel Walk.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/05/2022 at 15:40, Sheffield History said:



Nothing duller than people moaning about the council to be fair - let's save that for facebook groups and not on here 

Whether it's dull or not, people have every right to moan about the state of our City centre.

The photo of old and modern chapel Walk sums up our loss and you could show photos of every street in the City centre which would also show this up quite clearly..

It may not be entirely the council's fault but it's the council's job to oversee everything that happens and take the correct action.

I have hundreds of photos showing the City centre swarming with people almost like ants on the ground and everything is dead and lifeless now.

The council and the government have both played their parts in the running down of our social fabric.

Unlike ewanarm, I don't care if I criticise the council and am seen as a "whinger" and everyone I know is just as disgusted as I am.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/05/2022 at 09:48, Athy said:

If they are a contributory factor in Chapel Walk losing its former lustre, the comment seems relevant.

 

But I have no idea if, or how, the council is culpable here. perhaps Mr. Arm would explain.

The main point is, that it isn't just HERE, it's absolutely everywhere and the time for planning and investment is long before the City centre empties and reaches rock bottom.

Who can possibly influence anything in the centre more than the council and they have failed miserably.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s my opinion that our Council have somewhat limited powers over planning and are always aware that a rejected application can cost us a small fortune should it go to appeal. Similarly , they have little responsibility for development…depending largely on inward investment…..although ,recently, they acquired the Cole Bros building in a failed attempt to keep a John Lewis presence in our City centre and the old Court House saga is another example of the limitations Councils have.

National Governments ,over the years ,have steadily eroded Council powers ….to the extent that “emasculated “fairly describes them. Gone are the days of Chamberlain in Birmingham and “Municipal Enterprise”…..and who knows what our Regional Mayors May achieve.

Sheffield Council are not immune from criticism but ,in fairness, are under severe financial constraints ,yet they still do their best to manage a large City with its own problems …remaining from de- industrialisation over 40 years past.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites



In my job I travel (full time) the UK and visit villages, towns and cities.

Go on any facebook group about ANY place (I have to do this as part of my job) and you'll get the older generation doing nothing but slating their local council, saying the council are responsible for the downturn of their town or city centre, that it used to be better in the old days etc etc


Even amazing places - the places that you visit, love and admire - on their facebook groups - people whinging about their council.

It's so tiresome

That's just my opinion

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ewanarm said:

Perhaps I am being a bit harsh on the council and they are investing heavily in the city centre with the Heart of the City project and they have announced plans for the regeneration of Fargate and purchased some of the buildings but I just feel that an opportunity has been missed to create an area for small independent traders to breathe some new life into Chapel Walk. I do not want to criticise the council and be seen as a 'whinger' and hopefully the current investment will help re-vitalise streets like Fargate and Chapel Walk.

 

 

I wonder who owns Chapel Walk
Obviously it's not the council 
I understand a single person/company abroad owns the whole of Fargate - does anyone know if that's correct?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sheffield History said:



In my job I travel (full time) the UK and visit villages, towns and cities.

Go on any facebook group about ANY place (I have to do this as part of my job) and you'll get the older generation doing nothing but slating their local council, saying the council are responsible for the downturn of their town or city centre, that it used to be better in the old days etc etc


Even amazing places - the places that you visit, love and admire - on their facebook groups - people whinging about their council.

It's so tiresome

That's just my opinion

You are of course, perfectly entitled to your opinion as are we, the moaning oldies.

Maybe we remember better, when this City offered us everything we wanted and needed, even including public toilets!!!

It doesn't interest us what other cities are like because, if you are desperate for a p in town, another city would be too far to go anyway.

If every city decides to scrap everything because other cities have done the same, that just leads to a race to the bottom.

Surprising enough, It's when people get older that they start whinging more.  There is a reason for that, which younger people might realise some day.

We are on Sheffield History site and are naturally comparing Sheffield history (brilliant) to Sheffield now (rubbish).

Sorry to be so tiresome.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sheffield and it’s Council are vastly different from the days when I was a young man ….with aspirations and hope. Now ,as an old man , I have a litany of medical complaints, my aspirations have mostly been achieved,,,with a few painful failures…and I see so much to make me complain…just as my father and grandfather did. Sadly, it’s called life but I do try and rationalise some of my complaints and remember that life in the past wasn’t all roses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Alastair said:

It's no different in Oxford, offline shopping is over.


 

As the article states that fewer than 5% of Oxford's city centre shops are empty, and therefore more than 95% are open, that's perhaps not an accurate assumption.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...