Chapel Walk in Sheffield City Centre

Serendipity

21 hours ago, ewanarm said:

Chapel Walk is another example of the mismanagement and lack of investment by successive councils. Here is an ideal opportunity to create a vibrant thoroughfare of small independent shops like the Shambles in York or the Lanes in Brighton. Attract new businesses with reduced rents and incentives to come and trade.

But don't worry we'll soon have the shipping containers at the top of Fargate to admire!!

Nothing duller than people moaning about the council to be fair - let's save that for facebook groups and not on here 

On 19/05/2022 at 15:40, Sheffield History said:

Nothing duller than people moaning about the council to be fair - let's save that for facebook groups and not on here 

If they are a contributory factor in Chapel Walk losing its former lustre, the comment seems relevant.

But I have no idea if, or how, the council is culpable here. perhaps Mr. Arm would explain.

On 22/05/2022 at 09:48, Athy said:

If they are a contributory factor in Chapel Walk losing its former lustre, the comment seems relevant.

But I have no idea if, or how, the council is culpable here. perhaps Mr. Arm would explain.

Perhaps I am being a bit harsh on the council and they are investing heavily in the city centre with the Heart of the City project and they have announced plans for the regeneration of Fargate and purchased some of the buildings but I just feel that an opportunity has been missed to create an area for small independent traders to breathe some new life into Chapel Walk. I do not want to criticise the council and be seen as a 'whinger' and hopefully the current investment will help re-vitalise streets like Fargate and Chapel Walk.

• Like 1

On 19/05/2022 at 15:40, Sheffield History said:

Whether it's dull or not, people have every right to moan about the state of our City centre.

The photo of old and modern chapel Walk sums up our loss and you could show photos of every street in the City centre which would also show this up quite clearly..

It may not be entirely the council's fault but it's the council's job to oversee everything that happens and take the correct action.

I have hundreds of photos showing the City centre swarming with people almost like ants on the ground and everything is dead and lifeless now.

The council and the government have both played their parts in the running down of our social fabric.

Unlike ewanarm, I don't care if I criticise the council and am seen as a "whinger" and everyone I know is just as disgusted as I am.

On 22/05/2022 at 09:48, Athy said:

The main point is, that it isn't just HERE, it's absolutely everywhere and the time for planning and investment is long before the City centre empties and reaches rock bottom.

Who can possibly influence anything in the centre more than the council and they have failed miserably.

It’s my opinion that our Council have somewhat limited powers over planning and are always aware that a rejected application can cost us a small fortune should it go to appeal. Similarly , they have little responsibility for development…depending largely on inward investment…..although ,recently, they acquired the Cole Bros building in a failed attempt to keep a John Lewis presence in our City centre and the old Court House saga is another example of the limitations Councils have.

National Governments ,over the years ,have steadily eroded Council powers ….to the extent that “emasculated “fairly describes them. Gone are the days of Chamberlain in Birmingham and “Municipal Enterprise”…..and who knows what our Regional Mayors May achieve.

Sheffield Council are not immune from criticism but ,in fairness, are under severe financial constraints ,yet they still do their best to manage a large City with its own problems …remaining from de- industrialisation over 40 years past.

• Like 1

In my job I travel (full time) the UK and visit villages, towns and cities.

Go on any facebook group about ANY place (I have to do this as part of my job) and you'll get the older generation doing nothing but slating their local council, saying the council are responsible for the downturn of their town or city centre, that it used to be better in the old days etc etc

Even amazing places - the places that you visit, love and admire - on their facebook groups - people whinging about their council.

It's so tiresome

That's just my opinion

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ewanarm said:

Perhaps I am being a bit harsh on the council and they are investing heavily in the city centre with the Heart of the City project and they have announced plans for the regeneration of Fargate and purchased some of the buildings but I just feel that an opportunity has been missed to create an area for small independent traders to breathe some new life into Chapel Walk. I do not want to criticise the council and be seen as a 'whinger' and hopefully the current investment will help re-vitalise streets like Fargate and Chapel Walk.

I wonder who owns Chapel Walk
Obviously it's not the council 
I understand a single person/company abroad owns the whole of Fargate - does anyone know if that's correct?

1 hour ago, Sheffield History said:

In my job I travel (full time) the UK and visit villages, towns and cities.

Go on any facebook group about ANY place (I have to do this as part of my job) and you'll get the older generation doing nothing but slating their local council, saying the council are responsible for the downturn of their town or city centre, that it used to be better in the old days etc etc

Even amazing places - the places that you visit, love and admire - on their facebook groups - people whinging about their council.

It's so tiresome

That's just my opinion

You are of course, perfectly entitled to your opinion as are we, the moaning oldies.

Maybe we remember better, when this City offered us everything we wanted and needed, even including public toilets!!!

It doesn't interest us what other cities are like because, if you are desperate for a p in town, another city would be too far to go anyway.

If every city decides to scrap everything because other cities have done the same, that just leads to a race to the bottom.

Surprising enough, It's when people get older that they start whinging more.  There is a reason for that, which younger people might realise some day.

We are on Sheffield History site and are naturally comparing Sheffield history (brilliant) to Sheffield now (rubbish).

Sorry to be so tiresome.

Sheffield and it’s Council are vastly different from the days when I was a young man ….with aspirations and hope. Now ,as an old man , I have a litany of medical complaints, my aspirations have mostly been achieved,,,with a few painful failures…and I see so much to make me complain…just as my father and grandfather did. Sadly, it’s called life but I do try and rationalise some of my complaints and remember that life in the past wasn’t all roses.

15 hours ago, Alastair said:

It's no different in Oxford, offline shopping is over.

As the article states that fewer than 5% of Oxford's city centre shops are empty, and therefore more than 95% are open, that's perhaps not an accurate assumption.

On 09/01/2022 at 21:10, Sheffield History said:

Yeah you're right - doesn't look like the type of church to have a graveyard behind it

Norfolk Street Wesleyan Chapel, Chapel Walk and part of Nether Congregational Chapel, left; with old White Bear Walk right. 

s04938.jpg.d5b809658c50edc3c93eb439d1e65a7a.jpgs04938

s02137(1).jpg.f012b24b085046ad27b2fc9e1949a9bb.jpgs02137

Nether Chapel, Norfolk Street. Chapel Walk, right

Graveyard of Nether Chapel, Chapel Walk, 1827.    arc0408

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc04081&pos=42&action=zoom&id=24728

Graves marked: Gould, Thomas Hoyland, George Hounam, Richard Roberts, Ann Blake, John Wale, John Ellin, Joseph Langton, - Marshall, Hannah Mitchell, Elizabeth Nutt, F. Grayson, John Warbleton, Thomas Grace, Isaac Ellis, Eleanor Parish, Samuel Charles, John Carr, Mary Gorrell, Benjamin Wilcock, John Rose, William Smith, John Smith, Jonathan Sanderson, William Bartram, Elias Wordsworth junior, Samuel Pashley, Matthias Spencer, Isaac Senier, Frederick Hudson, Rev Timothy Jollie, Mrs Withey, Johannie Elize Wordsworth, Thomas Vennor, Frances Swift, William Andrews, Samuel Greaves, Richard Holmes, Elias Wordsworth, Elizabeth Rhodes, John Hughes, Francis Hughes, Joseph Swift, Henry Whitelock, Margaret Nutt, Josias Wordsworth, Anne Turner, Joseph Alsabrook, - Swift, Hannah [?Manton], Sarah Wroe, John Colquhoun, Mary Jepson, Elizabeth Kaye, Samuel Wilson, Deborah Parker, Rebecca Elliott, Ezra Ridgard, Richard Roberts, Edmund Windle, R. R., Robert Radcliff, Samuel Harmar, Red. John Harmer, William Slack, William Parker, Joshua Hawksley, Thomas Robinson, John Dawson, Thomas Marsh, - Barber, John Woodall, William Ashley, Rebecaa wife of John Smith, Sarah wife of John Smith, John Smith, William Jackson, Henry Jackson, William Barton, Joseph Fletcher Smith, John Wostenholme, High Mason, Mark Antipas Stevens, Rev John Pye, Westby Hatfield, John Watson, Ann Swinden, Sarah Parker, Lydia Winter.

Norfolk Street Wesleyan Chapel at corner of Chapel Walk. 1891. t00335.jpg.f559dc3963e3d1dea73b9e478eec2e34.jpgt00335

Old White Bear Walk, City Centre. Bottom side of Wesleyan Chapel and back of George Street Bank.1892. 

Artist, J M Stainton 

y01472.jpg.d7cbd0938b19c2f5c570ddb5216ebeea.jpg

y01472

• Like 1

Chapel Walk. William Lindley’s freehold tenements. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc04080&pos=54&action=zoom&id=55416

arc04080

Not dated. 

The widening of Chapel Walk has been plotted on the plan, showing the land given up by George Foster.

Shows tenements belonging to Thomas Younge, tenements belonging to Cornelius Eddowes, the tenement of William Lindley, tenements and meeting house and yard belonging to the Society or trustees of the society, the Dissenters Lower Meeting House and Yard [?Nether Congregational Chapel].

A conversation with description of Chapel Walk and Nether Chapel from an earlier time. 

"Everard: Opposite us is Nether Chapel — the new Nether Chapel we old men should call it, since it supplanted the old building we remember so well. Amongst the seceders from the "Upper Chapel," and one who took a great interest in and was a large subscriber to the building of the Old Nether Chapel, in 1715, was a Mr. John Smith. On the authority of Mr. Hunter's "Gens Sylvestrinae," we learn that this Mr. Smith was born at Bell House, August 28th, 1684, and was baptised at Ecclesfield. He was apprenticed to John Winter, a considerable manufacturer in Sheffield, was admitted to the freedom of the Cutlers' Company in 1705, and became the Master Cutler in 1722. He was deeply engaged in the efforts of the Cutlers' Company to obtain powers to make the Don a navigable river by which Sheffield might be connected with the Humber. On that occasion the interests of the town were committed into his hands; and he went to London and so far brought over members of both Houses of Parliament to approve and vote for the design, that the object was attained in 1726. Mr. Smith was a person of a remarkably religious spirit. He died November 15th, 1753, at the age of sixty-nine, and was buried in the chapel yard. He was the great grandfather of the late Mr. Ebenezer Smith, who married a daughter of the Rev. John Harmer, the minister of Nether Chapel, and was the father of Harmer, Joshua, F. E. and Sydney Smith, now amongst us. Some years ago a curious old relic, in the form of a scrap of writing, came into my hands, which afforded a vivid glimpse of the state of feeling entertained by the Nonconformists of that day with regard to Popery. It is in the form of an announcement made by the clerk officiating at the Nether Chapel, (Jeremiah Marshall byname,) on Sunday, the 4th November, 1750, informing the congregation that a public service would be held on the next day in the chapel on a special occasion. The Rev. John Pye, the uncle of the late Rev. John Pye Smith, was at that time the minister. The following is a copy of the notice in question: — "Please to take notice, that to-morrow will be the return of the 5th of November. There will be a Sermon preached here in commemoration of two remarkable deliverances in our favour, both as Protestants and Englishmen. The one was the Powder Plot, in the reign of King James the First, 1605, now 145 years ago; a plot that could be contrived by none but the Devil and his younger brother, the Pope of Rome, and his accursed crew. The other was the ' Revolution' in the person of the renowned Prince of Orange, 1688, now 62 years ago. He, as an instrument under God, delivered us from Popery and Slavery; and the memory of the great William the III. will be sweet and valuable to every true Briton while the world endures." From what I happen to know, I have little doubt that a worthy ancestor of mine (one of the seceders from the Upper Chapel) would relish and endorse the good old clerk's announcement, and duly attend, with his family, the appointed service. Although I should not like to undertake to defend every word of Mr. Jeremiah Marshall's trenchant phraseology, yet I do admire the spirit of sturdy Protestantism and love of civil and religious liberty, that it expresses.

Leonard: I was reading, the other day, in the Sheffield Mercury, of May 12, 1827, a long account of the foundation stone laying on the previous Monday, May 7. It gives in full the "oration" pronounced by the Rev. Thomas Smith on the occasion, which is interesting as containing a sketch of the history of the chapel and of his predecessors in the ministry. The inscription was as follows : —

The Lower Chapel built 1715; Re-built by Public Subscription 1827.

Thomas Smith, A.M., Minister. William Parker,  James Barton, David Haslehurst.   Deacons.   

Watson, Pritchard and Watson, of York, Architects.

Below, this inscription, with a few verbal alterations, was repeated in Latin. On a roll of parchment, enclosed in a bottle and deposited under the stone, was the following history: "The Nether Chapel having stood 112 years had become inconvenient to the congregation; and is therefore rebuilt by public subscription at an expense of about £4000, including £700 paid for additional land. A considerable part of this sum has been raised by weekly contributions since April, 1821, chiefly collected by ____" "Here," says the Mercury, "follows a list of twenty-one names, but we forbear inserting them from motives of delicacy." Reading the report now we can only regret that the newspaper, in having such a tender respect for the modesty of the collectors, deprives us of a useful bit of town-lore.

Twiss: We can get the names of the successive ministers from Hunter and other sources, but no one ever thinks of recording the deacons' names. Yet such a list would suggest many memories to old Sheffield dissenters.

Everard: A reminiscence I have of the opening of Nether Chapel in 1828, enables me to give you a glimpse of one who possesses a fair claim to rank among the Old Sheffield Worthies — the Rev. William Thorpe. He took part in the opening services, and that was his last appearance in his native town, since his death followed not very long after. I have often thought that there could scarcely be a more majestic and dignified appearance in the pulpit, or a nobler specimen of popular pulpit eloquence. William Thorpe was born at Masbro'. His father was the subject of a remarkable conversion.* Assembled with some boon companions one evening at the public-house, the conversation led to the agreement that each of them should take a text at random from the Bible, and try which could best imitate the preaching of the Rev. Charles Wesley, who had been lately visiting the neighbourhood. Three of his companions had successively ridiculed all things sacred, when it came to John Thorpe's turn. He mounted the table, opened the Bible, and his eye fell on the text — " Except ye repent ye shall all likewise perish." He was sobered in a moment. The impression made upon him was profound, and he proceeded to deliver a solemn and earnest discourse to the no small chagrin of his auditors. He was accustomed to say afterwards, "If ever I preached in my life, by the assistance of God, it was at that time." Having finished, he left the room without another word, and from that hour was a changed man. At first he joined the Methodists and was one of their preachers, but afterwards he became the minister of the Independent Chapel at Masbro'. He died there, November 8th, 1776, aged 46, whereupon his widow removed to Sheffield with the children, and she became on intimate terms with my grandmother and family. My father described her as a stout, noble-looking woman; with bright dark eyes, a Roman nose, and hair of raven gloss and blackness. William was very much like his mother, inheriting her features and expression; and, as he advanced in manhood, assumed a similar portly form and dignified mien. At a suitable age he was apprenticed to the "silver-plated" business with a firm, the exact name of which I have forgotten, but of which Mr. Morton, the late Thomas Dunn's maternal grandfather, was a principal partner. William was a very lively youth, full of fun and practical joke; but, at the same time, was clever, intelligent, and well-informed; a great reader, more especially of history, and possessing a memory of an extraordinary kind. On one occasion he was ordered to make a teapot according to the size and pattern of an old one that had been sent with special directions from the owner that the new was not to differ in any respect from the old. Young Thorpe carried out the instructions to the letter, rubbing off the plate and bruising exactly as the old one was bruised. Many of Thorpe's fellow workmen were imbued with the extreme views of Jacobinism, and at their instance he challenged Mr. Macready, the father of the great tragedian, who was at that time the lessee and manager of the Sheffield Theatre, to a public discussion on the causes and principles of the French Revolution. This Mr. Macready accepted; and the meeting took place in the Freemasons' Lodge, in Paradise Square (recently Mr. Hebblethwaite's school-room), which was crowded to excess. The late Mr. William Ibbitt's father belonged to the same trade, and was present on that occasion. According to his account William had quite the mastery over his opponent, and at the end the meeting, by a large majority, voted the youthful champion of political freedom the victor. The Rev. Jehoiada Brewer was at that time the minister of the Queen Street Chapel ; and he held similar political views. William Thorpe was happily brought under his influence, and became a decidedly religious character. At length he entered on the regular discharge of the duties of the Christian ministry, though without passing through the process of an academical training. The first place in which William Thorpe was located was as the pastor of the Independent Church at Shelley, a Yorkshire village, whence, after about a year, he went to Chester. In 1796, he became the minister of Netherfield Chapel, Penistone. In 1800 he removed to London, and thence to Bristol, where he remained to the end of his life. On the memorable occasion of the opening services of the new Nether Chapel, in the month of August, 1828, the chapel was crowded to excess.The preacher was a tall, big man, and very corpulent, but without anything heavy or vulgar about the form and expression of the face. On the contrary, his features, rising above a remarkable double chin, were finely and even delicately formed, more especially the nose and mouth. His high forehead was bald, and what portion of hair he had was of a dark colour, with a touch of grey on his short, slight whiskers, His nose was somewhat of the Roman type; his eyes were black and piercing; with a small mouth and arched eye brows. His voice was remarkable for its compass and power, and was apt to swell into thunder tones as he denounced, in awful terms, the doom of the impenitent, or become modulated into accents of the most persuasive tenderness, in urging sinners to repent and believe in the Saviour. The subject was the Christian doctrine of the Atonement. This he treated in his own peculiar style, and with a fulness of illustration, and a clearness and force of argument that I never heard exceeded; nor, indeed, so much matter on that subject compressed within the limits of a single sermon. It is true he preached for above an hour and a half, hut the attention of the people was riveted from first to last. The impression produced on the minds of his hearers by this discourse was very great. Himself the son of the Rev. John Thorpe, he was the father of another Independent minister of the same name, who was for some years the minister of Mount Zion Chapel.

Leighton: Chapel Walk, between Nether Chapel and the Wesleyan Chapel below (built in 1780), formerly came into Norfolk Street by a series of steps. They were removed at the same time as those in Virgins' Walk and East Parade, descending into Campo Lane, by a person named Marriott, a filesmith, who had the control of the highways.

Wragg: Chapel Walk is one of our old thoroughfares. It formerly contained, with their backs to it, some very old frame houses, built of lath and plaster."

Extract of pages 242- 247, from Reminiscences of old Sheffield, its streets and its people edited by R. E. Leader 1875  from letters and articles in the Sheffield and Rotherham Independent 1872/3. 

Sheffield Goldsmiths Co. Ltd., Jewellers No 11, Fargate/Chapel Walk (Goldsmith's Chambers)s10656.jpg.71f1104d1b17cebdafbf644f0e5bcf1d.jpgs10656

Sheffield Goldsmith's Co. stood here from 1907. The building was replaced by Richard shops, ladies fashion which opened on 10th March 1961.

Advertisement for Sheffield Goldsmiths Company Ltd., No. 11 Fargate and Chapel Walk.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y10974&pos=100&action=zoom&id=72978

Austin Reed Ltd., No. 9 Fargate, with Chapel Walk, right and Black Swan Walk left. s00841.jpg.2687fdbf946c07f5d8e3b5991927f818.jpgs00841

Howards Art Gallery Frieze, No. 23 Chapel Walk. 1984.t01105.jpg.2f167a3c382190c67c22059c7bf5f8b0.jpgt01105

The carving over the door of 23 Chapel Walk reads "Howard Gallery." During the 1890's the block of buildings comprising No. 9 Fargate and Nos. 1 - 9 Chapel Walk was a high class grocery establishment (The Provision Stores) run by A.H.Holland. His son Alwyn Holland, was an artist and architect. Part of the adjacent premises housed for a number of years the New Howard Gallery, as it was called in 1898 when the Sheffield Society of Artists held its 24th annual exhibition there. The Gallery was also used for recitals of chamber music. 1907 Directory still records it in use as a Gallery but by 1910 it is not listed and by 1913 was occupied by British Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Co. Ltd. and as a Billiard Hall run by Thomas Monkman (after 1916 Hibbert Brothers)

Howard Art Gallery, Chapel Walk. 1900y07224.jpg.50f47a3ef53c6cab52f9e3e97c4a07a4.jpgy07224

Image by Yates from 'Sheffield at the Opening of the 20th Century: Contemporary Biographies', S. O. Addy, 1900 (Local Studies 920.04274 SQ)

Geisha Cafe, No. 31, Chapel Walk. 21st March 1969.s27096.jpg.d1eb837f3b4db9d129f1abf464a7c711.jpgs27096

Nos. 23 George France Ltd., hairstylist (originally the Howard Gallery); 21 H.R. Whitehead, handicraft supplies, 20, Lewis's The Jewellers Ltd. and Sunshine Foods Ltd, The Sunshine Shop, health food shop, Chapel Walk. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s23830&pos=58&action=zoom&id=26602

Nos. 21 H. R. Whitehead, handicraft supplies, Chapel Walk also Nos. 23 George France Ltd., hairstylist (originally the Howard Gallery); 27, Finlay and Co. Ltd., tobacconists and 20, Lewis's The Jewellers Ltd.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s23829&pos=57&action=zoom&id=26601

Interior of A. B. Ward's Bookshop, Chapel Walk. 1972. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s22945&pos=55&action=zoom&id=25531

Interior of Phillip Cann Ltd., music shop, Chapel Walk "Cann, Cann the Music Man" 12/10/1972

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s22938&pos=54&action=zoom&id=25524

Methodist Bookshop, Chapel Walk. 23rd October 1964. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s39768&pos=77&action=zoom&id=77742

Interior

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s39735&pos=75&action=zoom&id=77707

Interior of Chapel Walk Chemists, No. 45 Chapel Walk. 7th October 1966.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s39680&pos=72&action=zoom&id=77633

Plan of the property situate between Far Gate [Fargate] and Norfolk Street which formerly belonged to Cornelius Eddes but is now the property of Charles Wilson. 1830.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc04103&pos=10&action=zoom&id=103619

Fargate, public footway called Chapel Walk and Norfolk Street marked. Also marked: William Rowley, John Waterfall's property, Charles Wilson's buildings and land, W. and G. Foster's land, trustees of the Methodist Chapel.