Serendipity

Chapel Walk in Sheffield City Centre

Serendipity

CHAPEL WALK

Until recently I would walk though Chapel Walk to get the 52 bus. One morning in August I noticed a guy taking pictures of a shop doorway, and it turned out he was photographing the bloke slumped in the doorway who was surrounded by drug paraphernalia. Our amateur photographer had a shop on Chapel Walk, said that this was affecting his business, and he bombards the council and the police with these pictures and will continue to do so until the "zombie problem" is resolved. 

I remember Monsoon, Accessorize, Oasis etc down there. Older people talk about record shops, Richard Shops, a model shop and so on. I find Chapel Walk scary now. It is very sad; it smells of wee and it doesn't feel safe anymore. 

Sheffield History

91864676_10158309815046686_5409957599363727360_o.jpg
Chapel Walk in Sheffield City Centre in the 1980's

Sheffield History

101847096_3647106085315934_6304486277941035008_n.jpg

I wonder what this fella bought from Bradley's Records?

Sheffield History
On 01/11/2018 at 10:31, Serendipity said:

CHAPEL WALK

Until recently I would walk though Chapel Walk to get the 52 bus. One morning in August I noticed a guy taking pictures of a shop doorway, and it turned out he was photographing the bloke slumped in the doorway who was surrounded by drug paraphernalia. Our amateur photographer had a shop on Chapel Walk, said that this was affecting his business, and he bombards the council and the police with these pictures and will continue to do so until the "zombie problem" is resolved. 

I remember Monsoon, Accessorize, Oasis etc down there. Older people talk about record shops, Richard Shops, a model shop and so on. I find Chapel Walk scary now. It is very sad; it smells of wee and it doesn't feel safe anymore. 

I wonder if things have improved with this situation.

To be honest I walked down Chapel Walk recently and to me it's lost all it's appeal.

Just don't see the need for a dark, grim corridor of shops like that

Would rather have an open space

RichardS

I'm of an opposite view SH, we already have had SO much of old Sheffield disappear i'd hate to see it flattened.

On an aside I work in the centre of town and the problem with rough sleeping drug users has gotten a lot worse in the last few years and during lockdown it is far more visible.

Sheffield History

EC10237C-AD4F-4796-B782-0FB11E82E6C8.jpeg

Sheffield History

Screenshot 2020-06-08 at 10.28.59.jpg

How many of these shops do we remember?

tozzin
On 05/06/2020 at 15:52, Sheffield History said:

I wonder if things have improved with this situation.

To be honest I walked down Chapel Walk recently and to me it's lost all it's appeal.

Just don't see the need for a dark, grim corridor of shops like that

Would rather have an open space

Not a very good statement on a history site, “ would rather have an open space” we should be positive about these old thoroughfares of Sheffield, the obvious answer would be to erect gates at either end and lock them at 18:00 until 07:00 every day, with a good height to stop idiots climbing in

• Like 1

Sheffield History
2 hours ago, tozzin said:

Not a very good statement on a history site, “ would rather have an open space” we should be positive about these old thoroughfares of Sheffield, the obvious answer would be to erect gates at either end and lock them at 18:00 until 07:00 every day, with a good height to stop idiots climbing in

I'm not really talking about anything happening overnight though. I'm just talking about the absolute lack of charm or anything of interest down there these days.

Many parts of it are empty

It leads to an extremely underwhelming experience compared to previously.

It would make a great independent shopping place but the shops on there just don't seem to fit that.