prisoner of war camp nrear deepcar

can anybody  tell me if ther was a prisoner of war camp near deepcar i lived in the tinmill woods my mum told me italian prisoners used to come round looking for odd jobs in return for food and  smokes i was born in 1947 my mums famaly was called roebuk

• Like 1

I have not heard of a camp very close to there but I believe many Italian POW's were put out to farm and other work, so I wonder if they were working close by.

If you do a search for "prisoner of war camps", or something similar, on this very site, you will find quite a few threads on the subject.

As a matter of interest was your house one of those pictured below, this is a picture hanging on my wall.

tin_mill_cottages.jpg

I understand that the local P.O.W. was at Redmires. However I was told by an older member of my cycling club that the farm we used to go to for teas in the Buxton area had an Italian P.O.W. assigned to them to help with the farm during the war. So it is quite likely that there could be Italian P.O.W's working on local farms.

5 hours ago, boginspro said:

I have not heard of a camp very close to there but I believe many Italian POW's were put out to farm and other work, so I wonder if they were working close by.

If you do a search on this site you will find quite a few threads on the subject.

As a matter of interest was your house one of those pictured below, this is a picture hanging on my wall.

tin_mill_cottages.jpg

5 hours ago, boginspro said:

If you do a search on this site you will find quite a few threads on the subject.

tin_mill_cottages.jpg

my email is davyb23@hotmail.co.uk

3 hours ago, Davyb said:

hi yes thats was my grand parents with all the kids outside did you no them

Hello  Davyb , no I didn't know your family though we may have said hello some time, I knew and liked that side of the valley very much and have walked through there many times and occasionally got wet feet crossing Wortley Leppings when the river was in flood. I also lived at Huthwaite for a few years and still have family living there.

As a small boy I was instructed not to talk to the POW's ( Italian I learned later) as they did work on the roads on what would become New Parson X.