Woolworths In Sheffield

Sheffield History

WOOLWORTHS IN SHEFFIELD

We've been asked to do some research on Woolworths stores in Sheffield over the years.

If you know where Woolworths had branches - either in the city centre or in other areas of Sheffield let us know

post-1-1171796745.jpg

post-1-1171796749.jpg

Woolworths in the Haymarket - and the pick and mix counter

CGShaymarketWOOLIES01.jpg

woolies.jpg

I'll always remember Woolworths in Hillsborough being a huge mass when I was a kid.

It spread across what is now the current Woolworths Local and the Superdrug next door, with the main entrance on the raod and also an entrance/exit in the far-left corner (as looking from Middlewood Road), which used to take you into Hillsborough Precinct (although Woolworths was there long before the precinct, now named 'Hillsborough Shopping Centre'). The far-left corner used to be toys and kids clothes, whilst I frequented the near-right area of the shop which was the records and videos sections (with it's own counter). The top 40 chart cassettes and CD's were on the all to the left of the music counter, with the videos rack directly opposite it. Pick and mix used to be on the near-left corner.

The below picture shows Woolworths (1980's?) on the left, about three-quarters of the picture in from the left - the stores in the centre of the picture were all soon-to-be demolished to make way for the precinct:

Woolworths was built on the site of the old 'Hillsborough National School' on Middlewood Road, pictured below

Brilliant stuff !!

Look how all the cars are heading towards town...

And I've said it before and I'll say it again - I find people on old photo's (like the one of the school) VERY spooky..

The ones I remember were our local one on Sicey Avenue at Firth Park wich was built on the site of the old Paragon Cinema (the Paragon chippy across the road stayed open for years after). Down town there was the big one in the Haymarket (many a plate of chips and beans in the cafe) and one on the Moor. As someone has already mentioned there was also the one at Hillsborough.

Woolworths at Firth Park ?

Crikey - would never have guessed that one, it seems they got everywhere !

Pic and mix anyone ?

This is a picture of the Haymarket store being rebuilt after it had been destroyed in the blitz. It reopened in 1951.

Woolworth's branch in Hillsborough was built on the site of Hillsborough National School, which had been demolished in the 1930s. I remember the site as waste land with lots of puddles (excellent for making mud pies). Woolworth's opened there in 1958, and it was announced that on the opening day, the first 40 customers would be given a free gift. My mum was never one to miss out on "owt for nowt" and so she was there at the crack of dawn, along with some more hopeful people. I remember her coming home with a carrier bag full of free groceries, mostly of the "Kingsmere" brand which was Woolworth's in-house brand name for tinned food etc. Mum's hungry tribe soon scoffed the lot - except for the tin of bloaters, which nobody fancied - even my dad, who normally would eat anything. Eventually the cat had a nice treat.

This is a picture of the Haymarket store being rebuilt after it had been destroyed in the blitz. It reopened in 1951.

When did it become Woolco ? What was Woolco all about ?

WOOLWORTHS IN SHEFFIELD

We've been asked to do some research on Woolworths stores in Sheffield over the years.

If you know where Woolworths had branches - either in the city centre or in other areas of Sheffield let us know

Woolworths in the Haymarket - and the pick and mix counter

When did it move from the location pictured down to the site near the Castle market?

Guest Uppsy_Daisy

When did it move from the location pictured down to the site near the Castle market?

I found a picture of the new Woolworths being constructed near the Haymarket.

I don't know if you can guess the year by looking at the cars reg?

The British Woolworths, with strong encouragement from America opened the UK's first Woolco in Oadby, near Leicester in 1967.

A direct linl to Virtual Museum .. Woolworths.co.uk,

as can be found in cegee's wiki link.

I found a picture of the new woolworths being constructed near the haymarket.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/jpgh/s16987.jpg

I don't know if you can guess the year by looking at the cars reg?

This is a bit of a guess, but I think its around 1960.....heres my "working out"

The car on the right of the shot looks like a Vauxhall Cresta PA and the first of these were built in 1957.

Now, tie that in with the bus that is there.. a Leylend Atlantean, which first appeared in the U.K in 1958 and was bought by Sheffield Transport to replace the trams. I know they also bought other vehicles to replace the trams and I'm sue that they bought a good number of A.E.C's before the got the Atlantean's so It has to be nearer to the end of the system which was in October 1960.

The Track is still visable but there are no tram cars in sight and I dont think you can see any overhead wiring.....I'm not sure, though when this section of the system was abandoned.

Mind, I have been wrong before!

This is a bit of a guess, but I think its around 1960.....heres my "working out"

The car on the right of the shot looks like a Vauxhall Cresta PA and the first of these were built in 1957.

Now, tie that in with the bus that is there.. a Leylend Atlantean, which first appeared in the U.K in 1958 and was bought by Sheffield Transport to replace the trams. I know they also bought other vehicles to replace the trams and I'm sue that they bought a good number of A.E.C's before the got the Atlantean's so It has to be nearer to the end of the system which was in October 1960.

The Track is still visable but there are no tram cars in sight and I dont think you can see any overhead wiring.....I'm not sure, though when this section of the system was abandoned.

Mind, I have been wrong before!

Found this, first page quote on woolworths