Sheffield HIGTON Men in World War 1

Nick Higton

I am researching the HIGTON diaspora see .. http://higton.one-name.net/index.php and at present, the lives of the nine HIGTON men who died in the war.  Two of them are Sheffield men, and both have previously been mentioned on Sheffield History.  They are:

Private ALBERT HIGTON, Service Number 9704, 1st Bn. King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, Died 02/03/1915, Aged 28, Son of George and Hannah Higton, of 99, Norton Lees Rd., Meersbrook Bank, Sheffield, and

Private JOSEPH ANTHONY HIGTON. Service Number 242564, 1st/5th Bn. K.O.Y.L.I. 36 Plymouth Road. Died 19/07/1917, Aged 29. Son of Anthony and Lilian Higton.

Although they both lived in Sheffield, they were only distant cousins.

I believe photographs of both of them are available through Sheffield History, and I would very much appreciate a copy, together with any further information on their lives.  I already have what remains of their Service Histories.

Thank you so much for the information.  I will upload it to my website in the next few days, and let you know when it has been done so you can extract what you need. I'm afraid his Army Service Record does not appear to have survived, but I have enough information to place him in my family tree, and trace his HIGTON ancestry through quite a number of generations.

If anyone can provide the photo of Joseph Anthony HIGTON I'd be grateful.  He had Service Number 242564, 1st/5th Bn. K.O.Y.L.I. 36 Plymouth Road. and died 19/07/1917, Aged 29. Son of Anthony and Lilian Higton.

Thanks

Image below is from "Photographs from the Sheffield Daily Telegraph 1914-1917 vol. 3"

(Sheffield Local Studies Library ref 940.43 SSTQ)

1554236213_PrivateJAHigton.png.30c8d8a569d220e2df8d9fb7af0df57d.png

and the newspaper notice of his death:

1116417243_JAHigtonNotice1917.png.258ac1a0778851d7003374ba971dbc8e.png