Woodseats Tram Terminus.

boginspro

58 minutes ago, Old rider said:

I wonder when the loop from Millhouses was built to join up with the tracks at Woodseats?

Opened to trams on 14 April 1927 if the information I have is correct.

3 hours ago, boginspro said:

I like the lad on the trolley, bottom left. I wonder do kids still make trolleys in Sheffield ?

Person could could have been disabled and had mobility problems?
No NHS issue walking aids or wheelchairs back in those days.

On 19/10/2018 at 18:31, boginspro said:

A postcard on Ebay with an interesting picture of Woodseats tram terminus, posted just twelve weeks before the end of The Great War.       ----------------        https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352486327999?ul_noapp=true

tram_terminus,_woodseats_1918.jpg

These Picture Sheffield Photographs show the same scene 10 or so years earlier,spot the changes?  The other photograph shows the view in the opposite direction.

Woodseats Terminus.jpg

Woodseats Terminus 3.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveHB said:

Person could could have been disabled and had mobility problems?
No NHS issue walking aids or wheelchairs back in those days.

Could be, it's very blurred,  but zooming in it just looks like a young lad on the same type of trolley that myself and friends made as kids. Possibly someone smaller behind him facing backwards as a means of leg propulsion, we did that too, but that could be just blur on the photo'.

I believe the Chantrey terminus was only the end of the track for a short time in 1903 until the track was extended to Abbey Lane and that the caption inserted on the original postcard has obliterated the track in the foreground, but the overhead wires are still visible.

I would appreciate expert help here, first to correct me if I am wrong and secondly to say when car 24 got it's covered top deck.

On 21/10/2018 at 21:47, boginspro said:

I believe the Chantrey terminus was only the end of the track for a short time in 1903 until the track was extended to Abbey Lane and that the caption inserted on the original postcard has obliterated the track in the foreground, but the overhead wires are still visible.

I would appreciate expert help here, first to correct me if I am wrong and secondly to say when car 24 got it's covered top deck.

From what I can find in C C Hall and Kenneth Gandy's books, No24 was new in 1899 and received its covered top between October 1912 and March 1913. It was renumbered 100 in 1929 and disposal was in 1931.

On the extension from Chantrey to Abbey Lane and Beauchief, mention of this appeared in the Spring of 1911 'New tramway extension Bill'. This was Tramway No 2 already authorised in previous Acts. I don't think the track or wiring extended any further than shown in the original photo (It made £44 apparently!) the conductor is seen switching the trolley and those extension wires bear sharply towards the footway.

There is slightly conflicting information with regard to the Millhouses Terminus loop where Gandy quotes "A few months after the (April) opening {i.e.line linking Millhouses and Woodseats} the Millhouses turning loop came into use. Hall comments that "This (i.e.the loop) was added in 1928 after complaints of traffic congestion at weekends at the "Waggon & Horses".

Probably Sheffield Corporation Acts from the early 1900's are the 'previous Acts I mention earlier in para two. Hope this helps. 

On 21/10/2018 at 14:26, boginspro said:

I like the lad on the trolley, bottom left. I wonder do kids still make trolleys in Sheffield ?

Was thinking the same lol. 

On 21/10/2018 at 21:47, boginspro said:

If the date on this Picture Sheffield Photograph is correct boginspro, the track extension to Abbey Lane would be a year or two after 1912

Question for Voldy! did trolley buses ever run in Sheffield?

Woodseats Tram Route 1.jpg

Woodseats Tram Route 2.jpg

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, southside said:

If the date on this Picture Sheffield Photograph is correct boginspro, the track extension to Abbey Lane would be a year or two after 1912

Question for Voldy! did trolley buses ever run in Sheffield? 

Thanks  southside  , we had some debate about trolley buses here   ------------    

and here ----------  

Southside's picture with details and notes helps to confirm further information from the previously quoted books. It appears that the extension from Chantrey Road to  Abbey Lane (Mitchell Road)  was opened on 22nd January 1923, the Abbey Lane to Meadowhead section including the triangle came into use on 12th July 1928 the line terminating at the then boundary where the Abbey Brook crossed under the main road to Chesterfield. The original proposal was to run to Dronfield as stated.

What might have caused boginspro some confusion, regarding the various extensions to the route, may be explained by the first being from the original 'Heeley' terminus at Woodbank Crescent to Chantrey Road opened on 6th April 1903. I have not been able to find any other references so far.

Rotherham did request that trolleybuses be used to operate the joint service on the route to Sheffield instead of trams but the Corporation would not agree! As a result six new single-ended new trams were purchased for this, their only remaining tram route, in 1934 lasting until 1948.

My childhood memories from the late 30's and 40's include riding on trolley buses in Rotherham and Mexborough  also in London and Brighton; a fine mode of transport in my humble opinion. Sandtoft Museum is well worth a visit if you haven't been yet!

• Like 1

Thanks for the information  Voldy  , it was actually information from Wikipedia and other internet sites ( as per the picture below ) , that confused me. It looks like somewhere along the line someone printed 1903 instead of 1923 and other sites have copied that information wrongly.   ---------------   EDIT -   I HAVE NOW CORRECTED THE DATE ON WIKIPEDIA.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Tramway

Regarding the trolley buses, did you ever travel on the Manchester trolleys, though they never seemed to have to race about their timing always seemed to be spot on, often waiting for a short time at each time point before clocking in. Manchester had a good transport system after the war but I think it was only second to to that of Sheffield.

woodserats_routes.png

Thank you for correcting that suspect date on the wiki site, the whole of the article appears to be a condensed version of the book and it is likely enough to find typos, almost all of us are guilty at some time or other when the mind travels at a different speed to the fingers!  

No, I never travelled on the Manchester trolleys, in those days there were far fewer cars around and most people relied on Public Transport to get around. I grew up in the years when Municipal Authorities provided many of the services required in their areas for their ratepayers at an economical cost. Times have changed and we have lost a lot of the community spirit and tolerance I experienced, the world of my grandchildren today seems to be  changing at a much faster rate than the one I knew. I am glad there are forums recording history in this way for future generations, lets hope it doesn't get lost in the 'clouds':mellow:

• Like 1