Bunneys Electrical Shop Firth Park

Stunmon

I seem to remember my parents buying our first television set from a shop at Firth Park after the Coronation in 1953 when they became 'must have' items in the living room. You could purchase them on the 'never never' Was Bunneys there in the 1950s or am I thinking of Wigfalls?

6 hours ago, Stunmon said:

I seem to remember my parents buying our first television set from a shop at Firth Park after the Coronation in 1953 when they became 'must have' items in the living room. You could purchase them on the 'never never' Was Bunneys there in the 1950s or am I thinking of Wigfalls?

I think it might have been Wigfall's (Wiggies) they had a shop on Bellhouse Road. I may be wrong but the only Bunneys I can remember from the 50's was a clothing shop, they were in the front of the Norfolk Market Hall and later on the opposite corner of Exchange street in the Castle Market.

There was a Bunney's at Firth Park Terminus in the 1950's on Stubbin Lane. I recall they were a source of cheap clothing...but almost adjacent there was an electrical store...the name of which eludes me.

2 hours ago, lysander said:

There was a Bunney's at Firth Park Terminus in the 1950's on Stubbin Lane. I recall they were a source of cheap clothing...but almost adjacent there was an electrical store...the name of which eludes me.

I had forgotten that one, I had a feeling there were more than one but can't remember where any others were. That one is pictured in this Firth Park post towards the bottom of the page, there is also mention of other shops including  "an electronic store which had a record department downstairs"        -----------        

bunneys_firth_park.jpg

• Like 1

I think the record shop on Bellhouse Road was Snelsons. As a pupil at FPGS in the late 50s the shop saw the "attention" of some pupils who did a bit of shop lifting. As some of us were doing our GCE trials the young lady shop assistant was paraded around the hall where she, apparantly, identified several of the culprits....who were subsequently expelled, Happy days!

Think you are right and Bunneys was not an electrical shop. Does anyone know if Wigfalls was there in the early 1950s?