Jump to content
Tania Elizabeth

WFC 1920-1 Unknown Football Club Help needed .

Recommended Posts

We found these photos in my grandmothers old photos whilst researching the family tree. The first one is 1920-1 the others are earlier . We have no idea which football team it is (they seem very well dressed for a pub team in those days) or who the people in the photo are.

Any help would be very much appreciated

Thank you

Tania

IMG_20181007_120957.jpg

IMG_20181007_121243.jpg

IMG_20181007_121317.jpg

IMG_20181007_121112.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you tell us please Tania , where your grandparents were living and working at the time? That information together with the one or two clues on the photo's may help. The club look to be quite successful by 1920/1  so should be on record somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, boginspro said:

Can you tell us please Tania , where your grandparents were living and working at the time? That information together with the one or two clues on the photo's may help. The club look to be quite successful by 1920/1  so should be on record somewhere.

Thank you for your reply, My Grandmother was from Attercliffe as were all the family, Rippon Street, Bowen street, Clune street and nearly every other street !!  most worked in the steel works. I did wonder if it was Woodburn Road football club ( If they had one) I can't find anything. The photos were found safely stored in an old white envelope. I think there must be an ancestor in them.The goal keeper seems to be same in all photos although it's hard to see in the oldest photo.

Thank you once again

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What was your grandfather called and what age would he have been in 1920?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hopman said:

What was your grandfather called and what age would he have been in 1920?

The Photos belonged to my grandmother or grandfather both born in 1903 . My grandfather isn't in the photos as my dad would recognize him. Their surname is Morris, the other surnames in the direct family are Morley, Dyson.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The player at front right is the same person in the top two photos also - and is that him,a bit older and now moustached, in the third photo too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The team could be named after a location: Woodseats, Wincobank, Wadsley etc or it might be a works team (John) Walsh FC?

If it weren't for the shirt design, one might even guess at the Wednesday, but 1920 wasn't a good season for them.

The date doesn't tell us if it's the start or end of the season. The two shields might mean a trophy won the previous season. It would be a laborious job trawling through the April-May sports pages to see which teams enjoyed success. It might even be the case that the team was not a Sheffield team. Have you checked siblings of your grandparents to see if they were footballers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hopman said:

The team could be named after a location: Woodseats, Wincobank, Wadsley etc or it might be a works team (John) Walsh FC?

If it weren't for the shirt design, one might even guess at the Wednesday, but 1920 wasn't a good season for them.

The date doesn't tell us if it's the start or end of the season. The two shields might mean a trophy won the previous season. It would be a laborious job trawling through the April-May sports pages to see which teams enjoyed success. It might even be the case that the team was not a Sheffield team. Have you checked siblings of your grandparents to see if they were footballers?

Thank you for your reply, I knew it would be a long shot.

I will look into the siblings see to if any played football.

Maybe someone out there has the same photos and knows who they are, or someone may recognize an ancestor.

Thanks again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picture Sheffield have a 1920 image of the Wednesday showing stripes, so we can eliminate them.

I've put a request on Twitter, if that brings any results I'll let you know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hopman said:

Picture Sheffield have a 1920 image of the Wednesday showing stripes, so we can eliminate them.

I've put a request on Twitter, if that brings any results I'll let you know.

Oh Brilliant !!

Thank you very much indeed for your help!

My dad is nearly 80 , the photos were his mothers/fathers and he would really love to know who the football team are.

It was the first time he had seen the photos the other day as they were hidden inside an envelope, he didn't know they were there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heres a photo from http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u01191&pos=51&action=zoom&id=36547

It shows the Sharrow Cycling Club football section in 1912-13 and shows them wearing the same shirts as " W.F.C ".  This is probably not significant as both teams perhaps frequented Suggs shop.  But it does show that amateur teams could be very well turned out, so the possibility of a works team is there.

812297139_SharrowCyclingFC1912-13.png.e89cb21eb956acbd93cad63b57476c7c.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Edmund said:

Heres a photo from http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;u01191&pos=51&action=zoom&id=36547

It shows the Sharrow Cycling Club football section in 1912-13 and shows them wearing the same shirts as " W.F.C ".  This is probably not significant as both teams perhaps frequented Suggs shop.  But it does show that amateur teams could be very well turned out, so the possibility of a works team is there.

812297139_SharrowCyclingFC1912-13.png.e89cb21eb956acbd93cad63b57476c7c.png

Yes thats true they do look well turned out ! Thanks for finding the shirt I have been looking for days !  I thought from the start it could be Woodburn Road FC as both sides of my family were from Attercliffe can't find any photos of the them .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It certainly looks like the same style of shirt, contemporary with players strip of the period, but they could be any shade of red, blue, green, etc. It’s impossible to tell on a B&W photo, although some of the sepia ones in the first set (the bottom one especially) seems to have a hint of red in it, but that may just be wishful thinking?

Unless of course everyone in the 20’s played in a strip of black, grey and white?! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this answers the question - Woodbourn Hotel FC - lots of press cuttings to piece the story together.

1618245621_WoodburnGreenUn1921.png.ef1e2561270d323316111764329cf6da.png

2068912071_Woodburn1920.png.d6eb54ed46b2dea19b309879508413fe.png

1672995270_Woodburn1920_1.png.13c71c666e24ed27aa00139a218b51fa.png

2025035735_Woodburn1920_2.png.833933329684fab177f14b00b94f2717.png

1760673275_WoodburnGreenUn1921_1.png.9e59ccf44801f04f5eee008b21424478.png

607177325_WoodburnRoad1921.png.c3ed9d142d7517d3c5c88e210e21a2a3.png

270864535_Woodburn1921.png.5cbe6961f09ea91e153f1a9899335ef0.png1760673275_WoodburnGreenUn1921_1.png.9e59ccf44801f04f5eee008b21424478.png

1831679153_Woodburn1921_2.png.815189e1884f2faccc5b27c5ed360e16.png

824485706_WoodburnGreenUn1921_2.png.7d8f9f1c42d34a779805fc0dcd1d998f.png

993400330_Woodburn1921_3.png.414b4898a52b0269c2674af9b27a0b99.png

295749887_Woodburn1921_4.png.32fe13d9e5652c299023190b50bec5df.png

309798450_Woodburn1927.png.7aa1be35974aa623ebe9db6ca96a84e1.png

1589849928_Woodburn1931.png.e85f15b8da99e9d4162f190faee56177.png

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2018 at 09:47, Edmund said:

I think this answers the question - Woodbourn Hotel FC - lots of press cuttings to piece the story together.

1618245621_WoodburnGreenUn1921.png.ef1e2561270d323316111764329cf6da.png

2068912071_Woodburn1920.png.d6eb54ed46b2dea19b309879508413fe.png

1672995270_Woodburn1920_1.png.13c71c666e24ed27aa00139a218b51fa.png

2025035735_Woodburn1920_2.png.833933329684fab177f14b00b94f2717.png

1760673275_WoodburnGreenUn1921_1.png.9e59ccf44801f04f5eee008b21424478.png

607177325_WoodburnRoad1921.png.c3ed9d142d7517d3c5c88e210e21a2a3.png

270864535_Woodburn1921.png.5cbe6961f09ea91e153f1a9899335ef0.png1760673275_WoodburnGreenUn1921_1.png.9e59ccf44801f04f5eee008b21424478.png

1831679153_Woodburn1921_2.png.815189e1884f2faccc5b27c5ed360e16.png

824485706_WoodburnGreenUn1921_2.png.7d8f9f1c42d34a779805fc0dcd1d998f.png

993400330_Woodburn1921_3.png.414b4898a52b0269c2674af9b27a0b99.png

295749887_Woodburn1921_4.png.32fe13d9e5652c299023190b50bec5df.png

309798450_Woodburn1927.png.7aa1be35974aa623ebe9db6ca96a84e1.png

1589849928_Woodburn1931.png.e85f15b8da99e9d4162f190faee56177.png

 

THANK YOU !!! THANK YOU !!

I am amazed !!! You found the club and also TWO of my ancestors W Dyson and J Morley !!!! No wonder my grandmother saved the photos !!!

I have no idea how you have done this

SO much information, can't wait to show my dad !! and have a good read .

Thanks to everyone, I knew this would be the place to find the answer !!

Edited by madannie77
removed duplicated quote
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Save the image with the names and print it out to put in the envelope.

Really delighted that this enigma has been solved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worthing Road from Google Streetview (cropped)

woodbourne.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/10/2018 at 12:30, Hopman said:

Save the image with the names and print it out to put in the envelope.

Really delighted that this enigma has been solved.

Great Idea !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 08:00, Tania Elizabeth said:

Yes thats true they do look well turned out ! Thanks for finding the shirt I have been looking for days !  I thought from the start it could be Woodburn Road FC as both sides of my family were from Attercliffe can't find any photos of the them .

Original, 1887 till about 1900, Sharrow CC colours were "chocolate and blue". Later on they became Claret and Blue. Claret body with light blue sleeves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent detective work! It is interesting to note, from one of the reports, that attacks on players and/or officials by spectators are far from being a new phenomenon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've cleaned up the picture:

It might look good on a mug with Christmas coming up...

woodburn21.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×