Dales chip shop Sharrow Vale Rd

LeadFarmer

Anyone have any information or memories of this chip shop on Sharrow Vale Rd?

I believe it was owned by an ancestor of mine, so I'm keen to find out any information. I think it was located opposite where Two Steps chip shop stands today. Ive not been able to find any photos of it, but my understanding is that my great grandad owned it, and my grandad worked for him instead of going to school, but Im keen to and out if any of this is true.

Thanks

270 Sharrow Vale Rd would place the shop just where I was told by the owner of Two Steps chippy across the road. Cant find any reference to it whilst owned by the Dale/Dales family. By the way, it was around this time when a Dales married a Dale, just to confuse the family tree.

On 01/11/2018 at 19:15, Edmund said:

Billy Dale who ran the shop was a club turn I believe.

Here's a photo showing both the chip shops (from https://petehill.zenfolio.com/sheffieldold

2041868932_SharrowValeRoad.png.87388556aea04c055c8745ffbc329f93.png

Thats brilliant, many thanks. That id the first photo I've ever seen of Dales chip shop. Im wondering if the sign says Dale's (with an apostrophe) or Dales (without apostrophe)? If it was run by Billy Dale then obviously the former. I know from my family tree that a Dales married a Dale.

I wonder where Pete Hill found the photo?

7 hours ago, LeadFarmer said:

Thats brilliant, many thanks. That id the first photo I've ever seen of Dales chip shop. Im wondering if the sign says Dale's (with an apostrophe) or Dales (without apostrophe)? If it was run by Billy Dale then obviously the former. I know from my family tree that a Dales married a Dale.

Pete Hill is a Sheffield based professional photographer. From his website ( http://www.petehillstock.co.uk/ ) "For my 15th birthday I was taken for my first proper burger at Uncle Sam's, then across Ecclesall Road in Sheffield to buy it at the Susan Wilding camera shop. I was later to return there for my first job as the Saturday Lad." You can't get much more local to Sharrow Vale Road than that!  His archives are well worth a browse.

On 15/11/2018 at 23:42, LeadFarmer said:

Billy Dale is my dad.  We have no Dales in the family, it’s just the chippy was called Dales Fish & Chips 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Sally66 said:

Billy Dale is my dad.  We have no Dales in the family, it’s just the chippy was called Dales Fish & Chips 

Hi Sally66, I'm beginning to wonder if my family story of owning a chip shop in the Sharrow Vale Rd area is incorrect as I can't find any evidence of the connection. Maybe it was a different chip shop to this one? Thanks for posting.

1 hour ago, Lemmy117 said:

Worked okay for me just now, Microsoft Edge on Android tablet

Thank you.

Just tried again and it works fine for me now

On 31/10/2023 at 19:22, LeadFarmer said:

Hi Sally66, I'm beginning to wonder if my family story of owning a chip shop in the Sharrow Vale Rd area is incorrect as I can't find any evidence of the connection. Maybe it was a different chip shop to this one? Thanks for posting.

I think there used to be three chippies on Sharrow Vale Road.

Yes there was, it is on that picture, the shop with a sign on the wall in the background. I always knew it as Sharrow Vale Chippy. It had a nice little lighthouse in the window. It's now a Chinese chippy.