Self employed in the sixties?

Julie Howard

Hey I'd love to talk to you.  My second novel is set in Sheffield and one of the main characters left the steel works to set up a business making trailers.  I'm finding it difficult to find anyone who set up a business who can tell me about the trials and tribulations (and funny stories) of those times.   What was it like to work on your own?  Love to hear from you.   Cheers  Julie

I set up on my own...but in the early 70s. Entrepreneurship was alive and well in those days and money was to be made...especially if your company managed to be placed on the stock exchange and, effectively bought out! The grim, rainy Monday morning syndrome....when the phone didn't ring was the worst part of going on your own. Your company was as good as its last sale and sales were the lifeblood of any commercial organisation. Your biggest friend ( and potential enemy) were the banks!

Great to hear from you.   Early 70's is perfect.  My cousin Ian Morton set up a business making trailers in Killamarsh or Halfway I think but I was a teenager at the time and I wasn't interested.   I would love to hear some of your stories about setting up ... good and bad.Would you be interested in having a chat?  I live in Australia now, but would be more than happy to give you a call.

Cheers

Julie