Division Street Fire Station

EllisSearcher

The building that housed the old Central Fire Station on Division Street is now Bungalow and Bears Bar.

My grandad, Len ‘Darkie’ Drayton, always told me there was a plaque on the wall for him in there and I’ve had this confirmed recently by a much younger ex-firefighter.

i wondered if there was anyone else out there who had seen it and possible even had a picture.  

My grandad is pictured in a number of old Sheffield history books as he was a fireman during WW2. He had a dark complexion and moustache and can easily be spotted.  

He always had many tales to tell of his adventures which kept us amused for hours. He went on to work for Footprint Tools for many years until his retirement.  

I thought he might have got a mention on here, but it seems not?

http://www.sfbhistory.org.uk/Pages/History/Section06.html

I may have missed his name, but this is the WWII page and I looked two sections back and two forward...

Maybe you ought to write to them and send them some info', as it seems your grandad has been overlooked? 

2 hours ago, RLongden said:

I thought he might have got a mention on here, but it seems not?

http://www.sfbhistory.org.uk/Pages/History/Section06.html

I may have missed his name, but this is the WWII page and I looked two sections back and two forward...

Maybe you ought to write to them and send them some info', as it seems your grandad has been overlooked? 

Thanks for this.  I think you’re right, I’m going to write to them with a copy of his picture from the books.  He travelled to Hull and other places throughout the war as well as working on domestic fires in Sheffield.  I think I need to go to the pub and ask I if I can snoop round behind the scenes. I just hope it is still there.

No problem. A friend of a friend in the next village runs this site, so let me know if you need some contact details...

Your grandad should get the recognition he deserves, as these guys did (and still do) a fantastic job!

• Like 1

I finally found a photograph of my grandfather as a fireman, second from right.  Not sure of the dates when he served though

C1CB4927-EAC5-493D-B587-8D50498D7E77.jpeg

• Like 1

On 16/09/2018 at 20:17, RLongden said:

No problem. A friend of a friend in the next village runs this site, so let me know if you need some contact details...

Your grandad should get the recognition he deserves, as these guys did (and still do) a fantastic job!

Hi there,

You mentioned that you had some contact details for the History of Sheffield Fire Service website.  Do you think you could send them in a  message for me please so I contact them? 

Thanks

Sure, my pal is round for dinner next week, so I’ll ask him for the contact details for the site editor and send them to you.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, EllisSearcher said:

Hi there,

You mentioned that you had some contact details for the History of Sheffield Fire Service website.  Do you think you could send them in a  message for me please so I contact them? 

Thanks

I checked with my pal and the chap in the village is actually Ted Mullins, the owner and administrator of the site

http://www.sfbhistory.org.uk/

If you open th page from the link above and scroll to the bottom, there is a ‘contact’ link on Ted’s name, which should open an email message to Ted directly, where you can write to him.

A06EB4E2-21A2-4357-B97D-F539F2186885.jpeg

Did anyone ever notice the fasces framing the Sheffield coat of arms on top of this building? It was originally a Roman symbol and was adopted by Mussolini's Italian Fascist Party as their symbol and it's where we get the word fascist from. The date of 1929 puts it firmly in the period of Mussolini's rule.

(161k)

On 11/01/2020 at 12:21, Alastair said:

Did anyone ever notice the fasces framing the Sheffield coat of arms on top of this building? It was originally a Roman symbol and was adopted by Mussolini's Italian Fascist Party as their symbol and it's where we get the word fascist from. The date of 1929 puts it firmly in the period of Mussolini's rule.

(161k)

This excellent carving was done by the Tory family.