Market Cross Woodhouse Postcard 1904

boginspro

Woodhouse 1904 postcard on ebay, I think from a similar angle to the modern Google Street View image. I don't think I ever saw the area since pedestrianization but if I have my angles right my old regular local pub the Cross Daggers should be to the left of the cross, perhaps that lower roof just before the gable jump.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Market-Cross-Woodhouse-Sheffield-Yorkshire-RP-Postcard-1904/382561735834?hash=item591274d49a:g:3I4AAOSwL~FblpUq

market_cross_woodhouse_1904.png

rev04.jpg

woodhouse_cross.jpg

• Like 1

I think you have the right angle there @boginspro and here’s a few photos from the same era, to help put the Cross Daggers in perspective.....

The last photo is one in almost the exact reverse angle; The photographer is probably taking the shot from the corner of the square bay of The Royal Hotel. You can see the building on the left reversed and Coo Hill descending behind....

Sadly, my formative years were at the point where all this was being demolished and the ‘precinct’ replaced it. Although I lived a fair walk from ‘the village’, the precinct never really seemed to take off and only the Co-op kept it alive. When that moved to the top of Chapel  Street, it was curtains for the precinct and maybe that time was the death knell for the village centre?

As a ‘wudhus’ lad, it’s sad to see what’s left there today, but maybe that’s the way of all villages, having the life blood sucked out of them by shopping centres and online grocery deliveries???....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RLongden said:

Just two features left on the 1904 and modern day view.

I remember the shop (circled) was a butchers.... was it Wrays?

I thought I recognized that shop but no chance of remembering who ran it. I seem to remember a stone garden wall a bit further up, possibly the one in the old photo'.

7 hours ago, boginspro said:

I thought I recognized that shop but no chance of remembering who ran it. I seem to remember a stone garden wall a bit further up, possibly the one in the old photo'.

Your memory is good @boginspro, as here is the wall and gate, between the butchers and Cross Daggers. Seems to belong to the Daggers and some sort of courtyard, rather than a gennel? Access to the cellars maybe.... a bit awkward for the drayman though?! :)

F411B109-F52D-46A4-9E3E-3B7C26501872.jpeg

7 hours ago, RLongden said:

Your memory is good @boginspro, as here is the wall and gate, between the butchers and Cross Daggers. Seems to belong to the Daggers and some sort of courtyard, rather than a gennel? Access to the cellars maybe.... a bit awkward for the drayman though?!

That gate may well have been to the pub yard, if I remember correctly the barrels were on a raised platform across the rear of the back room, that room (beer cellar) I think was a bit below the drinking area so the barrels may well have been rolled through a side door on to that platform. I remember that happening somewhere but not sure whether it was the Daggers.