Heart of the City 2

Robin Hughes

Heart of the City 2 - Pinstone Street.  Public consultation on proposals for Pinstone Street (Laycock House to the Pepperpot) runs until 23rd September. Drop-in sessions Tuesday 11th 4:30-7:00pm The Art House, 8 Backfields, Sheffield S1 4HJ and Wednesday 12th 11:30am-4:00pm Winter Garden.  See https://www.heartofcity2.com/public-consultation/. Take a look, make your own mind up, but above all, tell them what you think - some changes have already resulted from public feedback.

Don't know why they bother. Nobody goes into town anymore. Or if you want to the tram isn't running because the rails which were fitted last year have gone again!

Replacement Donkey service is available of course! Or have I been watching Upstart Crow too much, perhaps it was meant to say bus?

People no longer visit town to shop for all manner of reasons...car parking, internet shopping, Meadowhell... to mention a few. Supertram serves only a relatively small part of our conurbation and to blame the rail replacement scheme for the ills of the retail world is a bit far fetched. What does seem strange is the need to close fairly large parts of the system down when, in the past, with a much larger system this seldom happened..... repairs seem to have been done at night and in smaller sections.

A couple of then and now photographs of the two buildings in question! Laycock House is the building on the left of the first photograph.

Can anyone date the old photograph showing the Laycock Building for me?

From what i`ve found out about Laycock House it was built about 1896.

The old Photograph of the Pepper Pot shows it with a pointed turret, i hope that gets replaced when the refurbishment takes place!

Laycock House.jpg

Laycock House 2.jpg

Pepper Pot.jpg

Pepper Pot 2.jpg

No matter what objection is raised, it's discounted, I suggested the new office block, that now stands at the bottom of Cambridge Street,  should have been given a name relating to the area, Pinstone House, Bethel House, but it was named by the staff who are going to work there, many not from Sheffield. 

2 hours ago, southside said:

As far as I can determine, I would estimate the date as 1902 and also the month as maybe June or July?

Heeley tramcar No.31, built 1900, so could not be earlier than that

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramcars_of_the_Sheffield_Tramway

Other postcards of the ‘Valentines Series’, Number 64403, show views of Sheffield and surrounding parks and country scenes, dated as c.1902

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;v00308&pos=51&action=zoom&id=41733

Sheffield Town Hall clock is showing 12:50pm and shadows under the tram and shop front canopies are vertical, as they would be in ‘high’ Summer, with the sun at its zenith.

But that’s just my estimate, based on what I can see and find a reference point....

On 12/09/2018 at 15:56, southside said:

The old Photograph of the Pepper Pot shows it with a pointed turret, i hope that gets replaced when the refurbishment takes place!

That's a really good suggestion, but it's not currently in the plan.  Please try e-mailing the idea to info@heartofcity2.com

On 12/09/2018 at 18:20, RLongden said:

As far as I can determine, I would estimate the date as 1902 and also the month as maybe June or July?

Heeley tramcar No.31, built 1900, so could not be earlier than that

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramcars_of_the_Sheffield_Tramway

Other postcards of the ‘Valentines Series’, Number 64403, show views of Sheffield and surrounding parks and country scenes, dated as c.1902

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;v00308&pos=51&action=zoom&id=41733

Sheffield Town Hall clock is showing 12:50pm and shadows under the tram and shop front canopies are vertical, as they would be in ‘high’ Summer, with the sun at its zenith.

But that’s just my estimate, based on what I can see and find a reference point....

Thanks for that RLongden! The wickipedia link was interesting. My wife's great grandfather moved up from Bristol in 1899 to demonstrate and teach the workings of the electric trams to the driver's of Sheffield's new tram system.

On 12/09/2018 at 15:56, southside said:

A couple of then and now photographs of the two buildings in question! Laycock House is the building on the left of the first photograph.

From what i`ve found out about Laycock House it was built about 1896.

Laycock House.jpg

Laycock House 2.jpg

Pepper Pot.jpg

Pepper Pot 2.jpg

Hia. Would say the old photo of Pinstone Street, is 1910-1915, going by the fashion styles.