Amazing photograph of Sheffield

Sheffield History

Any information on this interesting photo' please?  I remember a few marches in the 70's, I was on the buses and they often made it impossible to keep to running times.

This could be the PEOPLES MARCH FOR JOBS which came through Sheffield 1982-3. I was on this along with other employees of Aurora Steels in Ecclesfield who joined the march at the junction of Ecclesfield Common and Nether Lane. The march started in the North East, and continued to the City Hall where Arthur Scargill spoke. The march then continued to London. It was a carbon copy of the Jarrow march.

16 minutes ago, Gamal said:

Are those phone boxes lined up against the old post office? 

Yes, if my memory is correct there were six in a row and you still had to queue for one at busy times in the 50's and 60's.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Gamal said:

At one time the GPO controlled the telephones. When it first opened, the BT Tower was known as the Post Office Tower.

image.png.7061cf7f8e9e94659db06a5798274335.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gamal said:

40192089_10156812766932878_7245347049367928832_o.jpg.424439e895cf5f35f64a82032ac2f35f_02_01.jpg

And in earlier times a line of "telegram boys" waited around the corner of the building (to the right on image) on their motorbikes to deliver urgent news.  I've searched for a picture of them without success.  Does anyone have one?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BenBeau said:

And in earlier times a line of "telegram boys" waited around the corner of the building (to the right on image) on their motorbikes to deliver urgent news.  I've searched for a picture of them without success.  Does anyone have one?

There is a newspaper photo' on this interesting post, by  vox , about telegram boys in the blitz.   ------------       

And here is a row of G.P.O. BSA Bantams, not Sheffield mind.      ------------         

I don't know the name, but I heard of one war casuality who after being missing, turned up and sent a telegram to a neighbour of his parents rather than have the telegram boy knock on his parents door as they would assume the telegraph boy was bringing bad news.

• Like 1