Sheffield Castle Excavations - Week 2

Sheffield History

They don't have a lot to say in week two do they?  Two big stones that maybe were from the castle? After two weeks!

• Like 1

H. D. Have you ever been on a "dig"? They are, in general, time consuming and painstaking ( unlike TV'sTime Team who are on a "supposed" time limit) in an endeavour to provide irrefutable evidence. Finding big "lumps" might be exciting for some, but smaller artefacts are just as important. Doubtless, when the dig is completed an analysis of what has been found will be released. Until then, be prepared to be bored!

6 hours ago, Gamal said:

Weren't the castle stones used to construct other buildings and bridges when it was demolished shortly after the civil war? 

Yes they were and a load of timber plus other things like pipes. But no demolition will take out everything. Something always gets left behind. Even the people taking it down will leave there waste behind.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, History dude said:

According to the latest update they have really found the actual castle stones and are currently digging up the moat!

One of my pals is on the ‘dig team’ with Wessex Archaeology and chatting with him about it today, thats not the impression I got? They’ve dug down through the layers of the C20, C19, C18 and the most exciting thing they’ve found is a flight of stone steps, which is more ‘Industrial Revolution’ than ‘Middle Ages’...... 

It appears that the dig is only a nine week dig and that means only about three weeks are left now. From what I can see it looks like they have only dug in a few areas. One of which is a cross section of the moat. So I'm not really expecting a great deal from it.

What remains to be seen if the rest of the site is fully dug up, before they start doing the make over of the site.

Or is the nine week dig going to be all that happens? I think that will be a major disappoint for the hype there has been about the site.