A very familiar scene from Sheffield's history

Sheffield History

There's not that much difference to be honest, apart from the roundabout flower beds. Something easily corrected if the council had the same level of income they had back then.

I would guess when the picture was taken that Chapeltown was not part of Sheffield, it would be Wortley Rural District Council or West Riding County Council up to April 1974.

Those MASSIVE fluorescent street lamp diffusers made excellent cloches, a guy at work used to collect them to use in his garden!

Nigel L

21 hours ago, boginspro said:

I may be my age but to me  "then" usually looks better than "now".

in pretty much every single 'now' photo you'll always find the space cluttered with poles, signs and other 'stuff' that is just there for the sake of it

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

in pretty much every single 'now' photo you'll always find the space cluttered with poles, signs and other 'stuff' that is just there for the sake of it

That was one of the things I first noticed here. A friend of mine who recently visited Canada tells me that they consider "street furniture" dangerous and try to keep such signs to a minimum.

Having lived in Ontario,for a while, I would question that assertion". What they do have, in abundance, are power cables, as well as phone lines on wooden poles strung alongside many streets and roads.... and a collision with one of them would certainly cause a bit of a stir. However, many traffic lights are strung across junctions thus reducing the need for so many posts.