Does anybody recognise this Sheffield scene?

Sheffield History

Yes, opposite direction to the one on this recent post but an earlier year.   The prefab' Castle House was built in 1950 to replace the B&C shop damaged in the blitz.        ------------       

On 01/09/2018 at 18:09, Dave Hitchborne said:

Not Angel Street, it's the bottom of Snig Hill. Angel Street is the top half.

Definitely looking up Angel Street from the top of Snig Hill, B&C Castle House on the corner of Castle Street, Water Lane bottom left, new Cockayne's being built top right and the car bottom right is at the top of Snig Hill.

• Like 1

On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 17:50, Sheffield History said:

39981510_169704443927107_1220784289986117632_n.jpg

A similar view below - taken at 11:38 on 27th May 2018.   Far fewer people - despite better weather.

P1020749.JPG

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BenBeau said:

A similar view below - taken at 11:38 on 27th May 2018.   Far fewer people - despite better weather. 

Good one BenBeau  , if it had not been for the Co-op sign I would not have known where I was in the latest picture.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lysander said:

Is that the bombed and burnt out Burtons building at the top right hand side?

Burton's building in the centre by the buses and I think that would be the new C&A Modes to the left of it above the Co-op. I am guessing that this would be the winter of 54/55, tramlines but no trams, it looks like buses have taken over on the Middlewood route which I think happened in March 54. Also the Cockayne's building on the right was finished in 1955.

20 minutes ago, boginspro said:

Burton's building in the centre by the buses and I think that would be the new C&A Modes to the left of it above the Co-op. I am guessing that this would be the winter of 54/55, tramlines but no trams, it looks like buses have taken over on the Middlewood route which I think happened in March 54. Also the Cockayne's building on the right was finished in 1955.

I reckon you are about bang on there @boginspro. The original snowy scene would almost certainly be the winter of 54/55 and Burtons building is where the blue arrow is, with Syminton and Croft Ltd in between (the upstairs still appears to derelict from the damage caused in the Blitz). The reconstruction of Cockaynes appears to be well advanced, with the facade overlooking Angel Street (which we know as Argos today)

Another photo, from the opposite direction, this time in February of 1955, looking back down towards the position of the photographer in the original. Cockaynes is stil, under construction and would be finished during 1955. All the other buildings are as the original, just looking back down Angel Street towards Snig Hill, rather than back up it?

Lastly, a modern aerial view, with the approximate position and direction of the original photo, even though little of the original buildings and road layouts remain...

A2C114FA-3839-4D5F-B6C2-5481A4F47895.jpeg

CE4D192C-F5FC-421D-8E92-ECFD905FC915.jpeg

DF2DC6EB-B1F5-4681-89E3-459B8D1B02B8.jpeg

Here is the complementary panoramic shot of the same junction taken on 27th May 2018 from the Premier Inn corner showing from the left: Bank Street, Qasar (Black Swan), Snig Hill, SY Police, Magistrates Court, Brick Mosaic Steelworker, Castle Street.

P1020748.JPG

• Like 1