So much to notice in this amazing Sheffield photo!

Sheffield History

Wonderful picture showing a Leyland back loader bus(?),a Messerschmidt bubble and a Standard 8 car.....with a policeman on traffic duty. Photo taken when Sheffield was something of a boom town with growing prosperity and it appears, before the existing ( shortly to be altered) B& C Co Op was built...

The last old style trams ran in October 1960 and the partially grade 2 listed B & C Castle House was opened in 1964 .

10 hours ago, lysander said:

Wonderful picture showing a Leyland back loader bus(?),

Yes, I agree, it looks like an all Leyland Titan PD2/1 -  H30/26R. These were withdrawn between 1963 and 1965 .

5 hours ago, unrecordings said:

No tramlines, yet it looks like the poles and power cables are still up ?

Trolley buses ???

3 hours ago, Pitsmoor Col said:

Trolley buses ???

No , there were no  trolley buses, but we had a post on them here     -------    

The old tram poles were still in use years after the trams were withdrawn to supply overhead power to street lights, although in this case I think they are probably powering the clock on the pole on the left. They were a devil to remove, well concreted in and virtually impossible to pull out so they had to be burnt off below ground level. A few were filled with concrete where the tension on the tram overhead had a tendancy to pull the pole out of line, you could spend a full day trying to get one of those out.

The last use of the poles for lighting was on Penistone Road, from Hoyle Street towards Hillsborough, and I think they were removed in the mid '90's

Nigel L