Royal Visit

Andrew Bell

When I was a youngster - and it must have been pre-1955 I think - I seem to remember being to taken to watch a visit by the Queen. Maybe my memory of this is wrong, maybe it was a different member of the Royal Family.  Can anyone help me out please?

The Queen paid Sheffield  her first visit as Monarch in , I think, 1954. She, firstly, toured a part of ESC,( where a special toilet was installed and gallons of paint were used to smarten up the workshops) She then visited Hillsborough...Here tens of thousands of schoolkids, myself included,cheered her as her open top Land Rover went around the ground. Long after she had left thousands of us continued to chant, " We want the Queen". We eventually left...very hoarse!

2 hours ago, lysander said:

The Queen paid Sheffield  her first visit as Monarch in , I think, 1954. She, firstly, toured a part of ESC,( where a special toilet was installed and gallons of paint were used to smarten up the workshops) She then visited Hillsborough...Here tens of thousands of schoolkids, myself included,cheered her as her open top Land Rover went around the ground. Long after she had left thousands of us continued to chant, " We want the Queen". We eventually left...very hoarse!

I was at Hillsborough as well that day. Only court a glimpse of her. 

We have a "Royal Visits to Sheffield " post here  including some good pictures of the 54 one.        -------------        

I was at Hillsboriugh that day i was part of the flag at the ground ,we did a marching routine then ending with the UK flag we all received a commemmrative pen knife.I was part of the Park Side Rd.school contingent.

On 22/08/2018 at 16:47, SteveHB said:

Hello, does this link help ?

Oops, sorry SteveHB  I didn't realize I had doubled up on the link you put on, perhaps I should go to that well known optician.

On 22/08/2018 at 20:56, Gamal said:

I was at Hillsborough as well that day. Only court a glimpse of her. 

That was the 1986 visit.