Brickwork

Schumac

I'm not a bricklayer! but I guess the curved brickwork is to gain a bit of space at ground level, and the fancy transition brickwork is a way of getting back to regular brickwork.

I haven't seen a curved brick in a piece of modern construction for very many years...I wonder, are they still made?

Yes, they are available:  https://www.ibstockbrick.co.uk/kevington/specialshapes/

Any brickworks will be probably prepared to make you a 'special'—provided you order in sufficiently high quantities. But I guess nowadays the labour costs of complicated brickwork mean that architects will tend to avoid designing it into a building.

Yes, it is a real treat to see the art of a good bricklayer. Features like this often go unobserved, till some good person notices one day, that a skilled hand has created something unique in our midst. Good on you Shumack !

I was told years ago, by a Sheffield Historian, that 'people don't look up enough, and see what beautiful work is on our buildings'. He was absolutely right, it made me start to take notice, of the incredible and intricate artwork and detailed patterned facades around some of our vintage buildings. The modern buildings in comparison are rather boring.

• Like 2

Now I have time on my hands I have started looking up after spending years not seeing anything and it is unbelievable what you see when you "open your eyes"