What year do you think this is?

Sheffield History

There's an early Ford Transit pick up...introduced in 1965... so I would also agree. Looking at the small amount of traffic and pedestrians I reckon the photo was taken early on a Sunday morning.

This is a similar shot below from Picture Sheffield.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s44263&pos=187&action=zoom&id=128270

Looking at the two images and comparing them to determine the date of the one in this post, I would say it was taken in early 1969, maybe January - March? Whether it's a Sunday I couldn't say, but would as many buses on Angel Street be running and would the concrete mixer truck be working on a Sunday in the late 60's? I don't know?

Arundel Gate is open, the trees on the area between Norfolk Street and Tudor Way are bare and the direction and length of the shadows off The Lycuem and the lamp standards make me think this is in the afternoon of the winter months. If it were any earlier into 1968, Arundel Gate would still be under construction (other photos attached from PS show both lanes being used for car parking as late as October 1968) and any later into 1969 and the groundworks for The Crucible would be under way, with Tudor Way being obliterated, but it's still visible extreme left, above the concrete mixer truck.

The construction site hoardings and cabins (the white triangular enclosure on the left) between Sycamore Street and the underpass into the multi-storey car park are almost identical, so maybe only weeks or a couple of months apart?

But again, just my opinion, based on what I see.....

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 1

Sad though it may seem, it’s been bugging me where I’ve seen this photo before......

BINGO!!!....... Mystery solved and I can call off the search...... :)

104C8B9B-4B2D-44A9-A3D4-C507843E1FB8.jpeg

E77398CF-4D89-4CC6-8AD1-F9FEB3C0A556.jpeg

DAD1C1AB-4899-477E-8BE6-3899817E6617.jpeg

C7CA5D11-9608-497D-AEAF-910BC2D09D05.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lysander said:

So the original dates, as suggested, are correct...or thereabouts!

I would not bet against it? In fact, I’d probably have a tenner (each way mind) on it! :)

In the distance you can see some pedestrians crossing the the new road, even though they have to climb over the barriers on the central reservation.

This was a common problem when it first opened, - some people didn't want to use the underpass.

32 minutes ago, rover1949 said:

In the distance you can see some pedestrians crossing the the new road, even though they have to climb over the barriers on the central reservation.

This was a common problem when it first opened, - some people didn't want to use the underpass.

Ha! I did see the jaywalkers, but the council soon fixed that little problem..... :)

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s23054&pos=1&action=zoom&id=25512

probably the last time the council actually ‘raised the bar’?....... 1972

9D227970-D729-427C-BBFD-98424CB45AF5.jpeg

90F246F0-E9A6-40B2-A381-B47FEDD18DB6.jpeg

Yes, my dad used to work at the YEB offices opposite where this picture was taken.

It provided daily entertainment watching people trying to get over the crash barrier with shopping bags and pushchairs

As a student, I drove a van in Sheffield for Pinders in 1970. I remember having to avoid people crossing the road on the 'dual carriageway' as we called it.  

Yep and the young lad with the ‘Beatles’ mop haircut and parka, plus the chap with the cardie and skew-whiff tie don’t look much like highways contractors to me. I reckon the cheeky blighters are still trying to tiptoe through the barriers!?!..... :)