Sheffield Cinemas Closed on Sundays! Trolley Buses

peterinfrance

I can remember back in the 1950's my mum used to take me to Chesterfield on Sundays to see the "pictures".

I believe that this was because the cinemas in Sheffield did not open on Sundays, but my memory could be at fault here.

Can anyone shed any light on this

Also I seem to remember seeing Trolley Buses in Chesterfield at the time but from what I can see on the internet they stopped running in 1938!

i lived at lowedges  ,and went to chesterfield a couple of times in the 60s cant remember trolley buses but that dosnt mean your wrong my cousin lived in rotherham they had them till about 1968 sorry cant remember the cinamas on sunday closing 

There's been a recent posting on another thread showing 1957 cinema adverts. The major cinemas were advertising films starting from Sunday (Odeon & Gaumont). There looks to be a lack of information regarding Sunday opening at neighbourhood cinemas. It could be that only city centre cinemas opened on a Sunday; out in the sticks Sundays were a day off.

I seem to remember going past the Greystones and seeing their posters advertising "Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday" and "Thursday, Friday, Saturday". In quite a few places Sunday hours were quite different with opening mid afternoon and an earlier close.

Back then, the programmes on a Sunday were different to the rest of the week...even at the City Centre cinemas. The locals usually had older  and sometimes battered prints too. 

The main reason for this was the change over of prints from one cinema/town to another. The reels would be collected from one cinema and delivered to the next venue,usually between Saturday and Sunday.

This meant that a separate programme had to be shown on the Sunday;one that didn’t need to be somewhere else by the following day..

On ‎16‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 20:32, peterinfrance said:

I can remember back in the 1950's my mum used to take me to Chesterfield on Sundays to see the "pictures".

I believe that this was because the cinemas in Sheffield did not open on Sundays, but my memory could be at fault here.

Can anyone shed any light on this

Also I seem to remember seeing Trolley Buses in Chesterfield at the time but from what I can see on the internet they stopped running in 1938!

My Auntie who was headmistress at Woodseats School used to take me with her to Chesterfield when she visited a supplier of school equipment. This would probably be around 1954 and there were certainly no trolleybuses in Chesterfield at this time. What was remarkable to me was the seating on the buses on the Chesterfield route. On the upper floor the seats were in a continuous row of 4 or 5 from the left hand window with access to the seats via a lower aisle down the right hand side of the upper floor. I believe that this enabled to height of the bus to be lower so that it could pass under the railway bridge at Dronfield.  

3 hours ago, Old rider said:

What was remarkable to me was the seating on the buses on the Chesterfield route. On the upper floor the seats were in a continuous row of 4 or 5 from the left hand window with access to the seats via a lower aisle down the right hand side of the upper floor. I believe that this enabled to height of the bus to be lower so that it could pass under the railway bridge at Dronfield.  

We covered that type of bus here    ---------       

I seem to remember that Sunday showings were different to the weekday offerings...and children weren't allowed in. I also remember that  you couldn't buy fish and chips on a Sunday . One bright spark chippy owner  in Ecclesfield gave his fish and chips away for free and charged for the wrappings...until stopped!