Jump to content
Thorntons girl

Can you do this?? Mobile phone users a challenge!!

Recommended Posts

Read this article

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44980893

Is this you?

Take the challenge, you will be a happier person.

I have been saying this for years, people are addicted and living their lives through their phones.

Dont turn into Robots, live your lives to the full and ditch your phones!!!

Let me know if you do it, make yourselves proud!!

Make your lives and the world a better place for yourself!!

Good luck!!

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I admit I use my phone a fair bit, but I'm not on social media such as Facebook, twitter, Instagram etc

I have to agree with putting the phone to a side and trying to do with out it. Need challenging myself with that one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Gamal said:

I admit I use my phone a fair bit, but I'm not on social media such as Facebook, twitter, Instagram etc

I have to agree with putting the phone to a side and trying to do with out it. Need challenging myself with that one. 

You can do it Gamal, just put it away and try and forget about it for a while.

Can you remember the time before phones? How free you were then?

I havent ever had a phone and I do not want one, when you look around you as you walk around public places, bus stops, shops etc you can see how addicted people are to their phones. Just look around you and do not be like them. It is not just about Social media it is an addiction affecting our world, people are not interacting with each other verbally, their phone is their priority, it is so sad.

Encourage people you love and care about to put down their phones before it is too late.

Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My phone is a "grandads" Doro clamshell, years old and still going strong. I keep it in my jacket pocket where it's spends most of it's life with a flat battery.

As I never go out without my jacket (even in this weather) and I never go out without the car ( I can't). It's there for emergency use only and if it's flat then it can be brought back to life with a car charger adapter.

I don't subscribe to social media (otherthan this forum) and I'm all the happier for that.

The number of people that know my number are limited to about 5 persons and I can't remember the last time it rang.

Up The Luddites. hehe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a landline why would I need a mobile if I have managed most of my loooooooong life without one? Oh yes I do have a basic mobile - it lives in my bag untouched except for if ever there is an emergency. If my family ever get a call from me on it then they will know it is a dire emergency. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lyn 1 said:

Have a landline why would I need a mobile if I have managed most of my loooooooong life without one? Oh yes I do have a basic mobile - it lives in my bag untouched except for if ever there is an emergency. If my family ever get a call from me on it then they will know it is a dire emergency. 

Be careful Lyn - I worked on the same principle, but come the time I needed to use it, the phone company had ceased the line and pocketed the remaining credit.  Their Terms and Conditions allowed them to do this due to my lack of use. So best to make a call every month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hilldweller said:

My phone is a "grandads" Doro clamshell, years old and still going strong. I keep it in my jacket pocket where it's spends most of it's life with a flat battery.

As I never go out without my jacket (even in this weather) and I never go out without the car ( I can't). It's there for emergency use only and if it's flat then it can be brought back to life with a car charger adapter.

I don't subscribe to social media (otherthan this forum) and I'm all the happier for that.

The number of people that know my number are limited to about 5 persons and I can't remember the last time it rang.

Up The Luddites. hehe

Good for you hilldweller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lyn 1 said:

Have a landline why would I need a mobile if I have managed most of my loooooooong life without one? Oh yes I do have a basic mobile - it lives in my bag untouched except for if ever there is an emergency. If my family ever get a call from me on it then they will know it is a dire emergency. 

Good for you Lyn, there are a lot of us out there!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Edmund said:

Be careful Lyn - I worked on the same principle, but come the time I needed to use it, the phone company had ceased the line and pocketed the remaining credit.  Their Terms and Conditions allowed them to do this due to my lack of use. So best to make a call every month.

Thanks Edmund - I do every so often ring my landline which has an answering machine so I do take about 2 yrs to use up my PAYG £10. Last of the big spenders that's me! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lyn 1 said:

Thanks Edmund - I do every so often ring my landline which has an answering machine so I do take about 2 yrs to use up my PAYG £10. Last of the big spenders that's me! 

Wow I thought I did well as my PAYG of £10 would last me  about 2 months. I don't do facebook , twitter and such likes as my phone doesn't have any aps on it, it's just a cheap [ £15 ] Nokia phone that I have had for the last 17 years. It's very rare I make a phone call but my family know where to get me it I'm not at home.  I do do a bit of texting though but as for phoning I use my land line as they are all free calls with Sky broadband.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/08/2018 at 23:19, Thorntons girl said:

Read this article

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44980893

Is this you?

Take the challenge, you will be a happier person.

I have been saying this for years, people are addicted and living their lives through their phones.

Dont turn into Robots, live your lives to the full and ditch your phones!!!

Let me know if you do it, make yourselves proud!!

Make your lives and the world a better place for yourself!!

Good luck!!

 

 

We seem to have gone off the main focus of the challenge!!

Has anyone managed to do this yet?

Lets not get distracted folks!!

Do the challenge-if you dare!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I ditched my mobile, nobody would even notice, I only use it to listen to cricket when I'm on the move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/08/2018 at 22:47, Thorntons girl said:

We seem to have gone off the main focus of the challenge!!

Has anyone managed to do this yet?

Lets not get distracted folks!!

Do the challenge-if you dare!!

I do try although finding it difficult sometimes. I rarely us a computer as I browse the Internet and visit this fab forum using my mobile phone. But I can't use that as an excuse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/08/2018 at 12:32, Oldbloke said:

If I ditched my mobile, nobody would even notice, I only use it to listen to cricket when I'm on the move.

Good for you oldbloke, it is getting so serious now, people been addicted to their phones, it is scary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Gamal said:

I do try although finding it difficult sometimes. I rarely us a computer as I browse the Internet and visit this fab forum using my mobile phone. But I can't use that as an excuse. 

Just putting it away and forgetting about it is good enough Gamal, it is the addiction that is scary, people walking around with their phones in their hands constantly, bus stops with everyone on their phones and no interactions. Mothers on buses and trams more interested in their phones than their children, I could go on - it is heartbreaking to see people of all ages addicted to their phones like they are on drugs. Never mind Spice, to me mobile phones are just as lethal.

We need to remind these addicts what it is like to live, interacting with their environments, other people, and seeing what it is like to be without a mobile. It can be done,I have never had one and never will, I can see the harm they are doing to mankind,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going way back some 30 odd years (in the 8o's) I had one of the early "mobile phones". It was not truly mobile as it was fitted into my car.

The cost was extortionate £1,750! This was not paid by me but by my company who felt it necessary in a fast moving business world. The hand set

weighed about 2.5 lbs so you could not talk for long. A lot of my journeys were on the M1 and the reception was diabolical and very patchy in those days.

A short while later as technology advanced one of my colleagues had one of the first truly mobile phones. The batteries were so big the whole

unit was fitted into a briefcase.

Obviously technology advanced and the phones got smaller, then bigger again and when I retired the last mobile which I still have somewhere, was a Motorola T250e.

Now after a large part of my business life spent with mobiles I had had enough and I did stop using them.

However last year my daughter bought me one for Christmas "so she could send me pictures and for security."

I do not use it for any pictures but I confess I do take it with me mostly turned off "just in case"

In an emergency I think they are useful.

I am glad to say though I am not addicted to it.

We also have a rule in our house that family and guests turn them off at the dinner table. Some people do find that strange...I don't.

I find it hard to understand how people put their phones as such a high priority in their lives, but these days it is much more than just a phone!!!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/09/2018 at 19:34, peterinfrance said:

Going way back some 30 odd years (in the 8o's) I had one of the early "mobile phones". It was not truly mobile as it was fitted into my car.

The cost was extortionate £1,750! This was not paid by me but by my company who felt it necessary in a fast moving business world. The hand set

weighed about 2.5 lbs so you could not talk for long. A lot of my journeys were on the M1 and the reception was diabolical and very patchy in those days.

A short while later as technology advanced one of my colleagues had one of the first truly mobile phones. The batteries were so big the whole

unit was fitted into a briefcase.

Obviously technology advanced and the phones got smaller, then bigger again and when I retired the last mobile which I still have somewhere, was a Motorola T250e.

Now after a large part of my business life spent with mobiles I had had enough and I did stop using them.

However last year my daughter bought me one for Christmas "so she could send me pictures and for security."

I do not use it for any pictures but I confess I do take it with me mostly turned off "just in case"

In an emergency I think they are useful.

I am glad to say though I am not addicted to it.

We also have a rule in our house that family and guests turn them off at the dinner table. Some people do find that strange...I don't.

I find it hard to understand how people put their phones as such a high priority in their lives, but these days it is much more than just a phone!!!

 

 

 

It is good to know that not everyone is addicted to their phones and someone understands what I am saying. Mobiles are more than just phones now, I am not against technology, just the addiction. It saddens me when I see 99.5% of people on phones while waiting for a bus, while walking, while having a meal etc. Thanks for sharing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×