Grosvenor Hotel

Hjdary

Sitting here enjoying a brew before going to work and got thinking of the buildings no longer in Sheffield. 

While many mourn the passing of the Hole in the Road or the Kelvin, I’ve just thought of another, once mighty building, which is no longer with us... the Grosvenor. 

In the late 90’s I was a regular at The Sheffield Kebab House (I think it was the Kebab of Istanbul at first). 

On one occasion while parked there in a brand new vehicle, I, and the new van, had the delight of being covered in wet toilet roll thrown by drunken ice hockey players from a hotel window above. 

I went in to explain my displeasure, deploying what can only be described as “robust” language....and sadly that’s it, my one and only visit inside the place. I was in there at the reception desk for all of ten minutes.

Would love to have had a wander round as these 1960’s types of concrete monsters hold a fascination for me. 

They seem to have an aurora of faded optimism about them. 

Years later I was working in Telephone House and was talking to Donna, the security lady and all round lovely person. She was telling me that on more than one occasion she had seen couples making ‘adult themed videos’ in the rooms. Apparently it had been noted on more than one occasion from one of the upper floors of Tele House that if you were waiting for a lift at the front of the building, you could see over in to the hotel. People had been seen with video equipment and “performing with the curtains open” 

How true this is, I can’t say but it came from a reliable source.

Im sure the new concrete monster they are building in its place will be lovely but I’ll still miss the underpass, kebab house just up from the YTV studio, the old Fire Station where every Saturday night, young firemen were stood outside chatting up young ladies, the Pizza Hut across from the kebab house and the Grosvenor itself  

I was a regular, for a while, using their restaurant and the bar. I recall, I think it was  Steve Davis ,who used to occupy a complete floor with his hangers on for the Crucible Snooker. One year he was knocked out in an early round and his face was a treat!

7 hours ago, lysander said:

I was a regular, for a while, using their restaurant and the bar. I recall, I think it was  Steve Davis ,who used to occupy a complete floor with his hangers on for the Crucible Snooker. One year he was knocked out in an early round and his face was a treat!

Christ! I hope he wasn’t starring any of those aforementioned video productions?

i just cannot shake of this vision I have of ‘Mr Interesting’ aiming for the pink, but going in-off the brown!!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, lysander said:

Crikey...what a prospect..,I wonder?

..... with ‘whispering’ Ted Lowe commentating? I’d pay good money for a copy of that DVD!!! :D