Silver fruit knife

Adrian Cook

Hi there every body .sort of hot again today  again .Well I'm on the sick at the moment but am mobile and yesterday took the wife and daughter shopping and to have the last fitting of my daughter wedding dress.whats that got to do with knives you might ask well, while they were doing the women things I slipped of to the market area of Chelmsford  and found this market stool selling gold and silver etc.I noticed this no thrills m.o.p. silver fruit knife and knocked the seller down from £13 to £10 .Any way been attempting to research it and think it's made by James Fenton but as yet am unable to find the correct date on it. The knife is only about 50mm long when closed. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks adrian. 

IMG_20180725_195852.jpg

IMG_20180725_195859.jpg

IMG_20180725_195916.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks boginspro ..I wasn't sure about the date but with a little help from your friends (sounds like a Beatles song ) I now know 1905 James Fenton . It's getting better all the time.

Thanks tozzin .very helpful .when I'm at a loss my friends from Sheffield always come to my rescue.What would life be without friends.Thanks again .adrian.

Hello, have you noticed that that maker's mark on the knife blade looks as if it is an overstrike? It looks to me as if some one else made the silver blade and the "J.F" stamp was put on top. Just around the top of the "J" there appears to be a smaller residual mark of the actual maker. Mr Fenton was likely buying in at least some of the silver blades he was using from a alterative silversmith.

Kalfred