New inn public house brightside lane

roy1942

This pub stood on the corner of fell st & brightside lane may have been bombed or more likley  demolished any info or a photo please

• Like 1

Have you looked on our A to Z of pubs, you will find it there under N to S page 2.

378 Brightside Lane opened in 1858 and closed in 1937 also naming landlords.

• Like 1

It’s still there converted to offices. The frontage still has the carved “new inn” signage in the stonework.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, makapaka said:

It’s still there converted to offices. The frontage still has the carved “new inn” signage in the stonework.

This one has me a bit baffled,  makapaka ,  in the years after the war before re-development I think there was only  a derelict yard or something like that on the outward corner of Fell Street and I thought there were just houses on the other. So can you tell me is it on the corner of that street or further along Brightside lane. Any chance of a google view or something like that please ?

EDIT - I have just looked on a list of Thomas Berry pubs and see it is listed as being on the corner of Fell Street so the question now is which corner? 

I have looked on Google Street View at Fell Street but it now seems to be all new buildings and new roads  there doesn't seem to be any old buildings left.

46 minutes ago, ukelele lady said:

I have looked on Google Street View at Fell Street but it now seems to be all new buildings and new roads  there doesn't seem to be any old buildings left.

I did the same and also couldn't find any old buildings, I would not have known it was Fell Street if I had not come from the map.

Picture here from Picture Sheffield of the outward corner of Fell Street in 1966, showing what I thought was a yard, but looking at this it may well have been a demolished or bombed building. I have not been able to find a picture of the other corner so far.             -----------------            http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s15777&pos=3&action=zoom&id=18528

fell_street.jpg

Here's a photo taken in 1949 - the New Inn appears to be demolished (from Britain from Above photo ref EAW026021)

1548180296_FellStreet1949.png.cd8c82841d1cce4fd50b9a82e9579ea2.png

The OS map revised in 1937 shows the New Inn still standing:

1358908017_NewInnFellStreet1937.png.2a5c093aa9e01d11a5976ad24ef21bc7.png

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Edmund said:

Here's a photo taken in 1949 - the New Inn appears to be demolished

I was looking at the same site and trying to work out what was on the other corner, best I have found so far is not very clear. 1948

fell_st.png

Here's an extract from the Bombs map - there would not have been much in the way of protection for the pub from the bomb that fell on the railway lines. Possibly it stood derelict until it was demolished by 1948/9?

971000974_NewInnFellStreetBombs.png.0d9cc656d60886bc51087d6553ede247.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Edmund said:

Here's an extract from the Bombs map - there would not have been much in the way of protection for the pub from the bomb that fell on the railway lines. Possibly it stood derelict until it was demolished in 1948/9? 

That sounds like a good possibility,  on the 54 map it's just shown as ruin. EDITED to avoid duplication, I have changed the map to the 1954 one.

fell_street_1954.png

7 hours ago, boginspro said:

I was looking at the same site and trying to work out what was on the other corner, best I have found so far is not very clear. 1948

The other corner was No.2 Fell Street (also known as 494 Brightside Lane) - Compulsory Purchase Order No 249 was published in March 1938:

1475873750_CompulsoryPurchaseOrder249.png.f9443c993c55dcbc84835008bb30aaf1.png

The Indexers show the shop as being occupied by John Coggin in 1905 and Elizabeth Troop in 1925. However trhe 1939 census shows the property as no longer a shop, and occupied by the Wills family (Slinger - Armaments, Filemaker)

• Like 1