Peter Hall

Surviving Sheffield (SJOC/STD) and SYPTE buses

In preparedness' for the South Yorkshire Transport Trust Open Day on Sunday I have been updating my lists of surviving buses with a local connection. Having now found away to convert and save these in a compatible format for this forum I can now make these available.   The first can be found below and lists the survivors that were once in the fleets of Sheffield Transport Department / Joint Omnibus Committee,56457614_SurvivingSYPTEbuses001.thumb.jpg.7c145b44045217bb9134071a481ac7df.jpg  

722725848_SurvivingSYPTEbuses002.thumb.jpg.8bab38cd3937a9ae2c267622694748d0.jpg   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The bus that was to me the best I ever drove is listed there, but it is a shame she was cut down. 475 is a lovely vehicle, just my kind of bus, she could knock nine bells out of the modern front loaders.. All the Leyland's  were powerful but with the engine she had in the last years before being retired she could lick anything.

A few additions to the list:-

Cut down from double deckers and still knocking around

M3 OWJ 353A in Blackpool area

M4 OWJ 354A in Blackpool area

M16 OWJ 782A in South Yorkshire Transport Trust (SYTT) Rotherham

And subtract from the list 

61 C61 LHL Ford Transit / Carlyle - recently scrapped.

Others in existence used by STD/SYT but not new to either:-

M1 DUG 167C ex-Blueline now SYTT

M18 BWW 654B ex- T. Severn & Sons in Doncaster now in Keighley bus museum

Nigel L

Nigel's post prompts me to add the list of survivors from Doncaster and Rotherham Corporations and the independents from these areas.  634104042_SurvivingSYPTEbuses003.thumb.jpg.d83a6ba3b67ec091d3c09c3c3bbf7821.jpg621771428_SurvivingSYPTEbuses004.thumb.jpg.4208c407727f40a02d703d45f7215855.jpg 

...just an update on 287 - SWB 287L - formally converted to open-top during its SYT/ Mainline days - now superbly restored and with its roof back on , and finished in Sheffield Transport livery as it was when new !

On ‎10‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 19:49, Transit2 said:

...just an update on 287 - SWB 287L - formally converted to open-top during its SYT/ Mainline days - now superbly restored and with its roof back on , and finished in Sheffield Transport livery as it was when new !

Indeed, I was very impressed with the restoration when I saw it at the SYTT Open Day in July.

Any one who was able to attend the,  what I presume was a very hastily arranged, Open Day at Olive Grove (Eastbank in old money) Depot  in September was no doubt shocked to see 287's sister 293.  I had presumed 293 UWA 293L  was no more but seemingly not.  It is now also part of the SYTT collection - another update to the list. 

Personally, I only heard about the Open Day two weeks before and too late to juggle other commitments.  Those usually in the know seeming to know little or nothing about it at that stage either.   

....another Open Day will be arranged around June/July next year Peter - i will update when the date is confirmed !

Nice to see a Crossley on the list, even if it is not a Sheffield one. Am I right in saying 213 was the last Crossley delivered to Rotherham? I know there was a 214 fleet number.  Does anyone know what happened to the Crossley engine that was on display at Greenland Road?  I think in the driving school after the last Crossley came out of service.

On ‎27‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 21:58, boginspro said:

Nice to see a Crossley on the list, even if it is not a Sheffield one. Am I right in saying 213 was the last Crossley delivered to Rotherham? I know there was a 214 fleet number. 

Thought this would be quite easy to answer until I spotted a glaring omission in the published Rotherham Corporation Transport Fleet Histories I consulted. All these omitted the 1952 batch of Crossley Double Deckers!  Perhaps the reason for the question? Anyhow, further delving reveals these to be 209 - 214  HET 209-214.  However, the chassis numbers are not in numerical sequence when it comes to road registrations and quoted delivery months.

95903  HET 509  209  5/52

95904  HET 510  210  6/52

95905  HET 511  211  6/52

95906  HET 512  212  7/52

95907  HET 514 214  9/52

95908 HET 513 213  8/52

Thus, although 213 was the last Crossley built for Rotherham it was not the last delivered.  .

As far as I am aware 213 is still tucked away in a bomb proof hanger at the Science Museum store at Wroughton Airfield near Swindon.  Public Access is now very restricted if permitted at all.

Can't say too much on a public forum other than to say an approach was made about displaying 213 at the Midland Road Open Day in 2014.  Unfortunately the hoops were set too high for it to have been practical.  The hope had been to display all two and a half surviving RCT Motor buses together but in the event only 135 made it, 

With so few RCT motor buses surviving it is to be hoped that 213 can return home at some point in the future. The South Yorkshire Transport Museum being an ideal home especially since 220 has departed for Beamish.  

Hope this digression into Rotherham is within the permitted boundaries of this forum.  

• Like 2

Thanks Peter  , I did drive Rotherham buses on the odd occasion, only Daimlers mind, and they were really nice to drive, it is a pity there are so few left.

10 hours ago, boginspro said:

Thanks Peter  , I did drive Rotherham buses on the odd occasion, only Daimlers mind, and they were really nice to drive, it is a pity there are so few left.

We called them  "Rotherham Tankers".  W/E.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Waterside Echo said:

We called them  "Rotherham Tankers".  W/E. 

I remember that term and from that I am guessing you were a Greenland Road driver.

In the early SYPTE days some of the Rotherham Daimlers were transferred to Doncaster and Greenland garages although use on 69, 277 & 278 routes resulted in it not always being obvious that this had taken place. For a lesser period a very small number also saw use at Herries and Leadmill.   Previously a small number had appeared in Sheffield in 1973  during a period of vehicle shortage.

The Daimlers were certainly referred to as 'Rotherham Tankers' by Greenland crews, presumably a reflection of them having a more lively performance when compared with the former Sheffield AEC's and Leylands.  

• Like 1

Having not so far been reprimanded for straying over the boundary into Rotherham I will tempt fate by adding an updated list of all known survivors of Rotherham Corporation Transport (RCT) motorbuses, trolleybuses and support vehicles in Great Britain, three in each category. Actually a very small number when compared with other municipal operations of a similar size. 

Of particular note is FET 218 the Austin K8 Welders Truck dating back to 1949.  Although sold into preservation by SYPTE in 1977 it had been presumed the lack of any reports in recent years were an indication that it no longer survived. That however was not the case and in the last couple of months ownership has changed and it has returned to South Yorkshire.  Despite being stored in the open for over twenty years it is in reasonable condition with a full restoration expected to get underway shortly  No photographs of FET 218 in service have yet emerged so if anyone has any please make contact. It now has a pick-up style of back which during its later days had a frame with canvas cover.  Whether this was how it was originally configured is not known for sure as a previous owner recalls that it may have originally had a conventional van body that was cut down by RCT at some point. Thus the appeal for photographs.

Although a number of Austin K8's have been restored, pictures of which can be found on the net, none have a similar pick up style back which does suggest that the one on FET 218  may be a product of the Rawmarsh Road body shop.    

1831625332_Rotherhamrecovery002.thumb.jpg.a316fc322ff759ad446629f183d9ddbd.jpg

• Like 2

Whilst upgrading my knowledge about Wroughton Museum online (I made a speculative unsuccessful call there some years ago whilst in the area), I came across this:- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-42456778 

If you scroll down the article there is a glimpse of RCT Crossley 213 in an unfriendly photographic environment between two fellow prisoners! The local Swindon paper has run encouraging columns over the past couple of years though the lack of funding will no doubt continue to stall any progress on this Museum.

• Like 1

On 14/11/2018 at 22:28, boginspro said:

I remember that term and from that I am guessing you were a Greenland Road driver.

No, I just did a lot of "suet" in the 60s&70s. I spent my career at Sheffield's "premier" depot north of the city.  W/E.

• Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 18:57, Transit2 said:

....another Open Day will be arranged around June/July next year Peter - i will update when the date is confirmed !

Understand it was quite well publicised on buses the users of which were presumably the principal audience.  Spoke to someone who took their son and they gave it the thumbs up.

There was a time when the local bus, trolleybus and tram networks reflected civic pride. Open days I feel are a good way of rekindling that especially when a selection of vehicles from the past in traditional colours are included.  

The efforts of those involved in making these things happen are appreciated.   

• Like 1