Jump to content
Adrian Cook

Two blade penknife.

Recommended Posts

Hi there fellow S/H members.I seem to have come to an end of Googleing for research on this lovely little knife .every time I Google Silvester&co it just brings up all about Silvester street which is not actually giving me any info on the knife.If possible I would like to know more on who made it and when but alas ime at a loss .so if you can help in any way I would be thankful.adrian.

 

IMG_20180714_104644.jpg

IMG_20180714_104559.jpg

IMG_20180714_104721.jpg

IMG_20180714_104740.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't heard of Sylvester or found anything about them, the scales are grained Xylo so I would put it as being made after the 1920s, other than that I can't find anything about Mr Sylvester.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks tozzin ,yet another mystery sheffield cutler.Lovely little knife though  Thank heaven for Sheffield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SYLVESTER over &CO  --  Thomas Ellin & Co - Sylvester Works - Sheffield 1892-1919

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks boginspro.so are Sylvester over co and Thomas Ellin & co the same entity and can I assume the knife was made within those dates?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps this is helpful to you, the building is still standing and was renovated a few years ago its now either flats or offices.  I think the Sylvester mark was just used after their Sylvester Works.

The missing final sentence is as follows" Mark of George Woodhead & Sons. A silver mark was registered in 1907. An Ellin genealogy was published by Skevington in 1916"

thomas_ellin.png

 

thomas_ellin_1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adrian Cook said:

Thanks boginspro.so are Sylvester over co and Thomas Ellin & co the same entity and can I assume the knife was made within those dates?.

I just have  SYLVESTER stamped above & Co listed as one of their makers marks with those dates, I believe they also used SYLVESTER stamped above SHEFFIELD , neither of these seem to be found as often as their other marks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much for your help again.really would be at a loss without your help so just like to repeat myself again Thank you.Adrian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adrian Cook said:

Thanks so much for your help again.really would be at a loss without your help so just like to repeat myself again Thank you.Adrian.

If you look at the second scanned page I posted look at the top end of the banner that runs across the advert, look and behold it reads " Sylvester & Co" penknife query is now answered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you.tozzin.like I've said before you guys are the best .As you must know by now I love my Sheffield knives .love researching them and love the workmanship on them and feel so lucky to be able to come on this forum for the help .so many thanks again and hope I can keep coming back again and again if that's ok.If I can help others that are in the same position as me I will gladly help .Been living in Essex all my life but Sheffield is where I do intend to visit hopefully sooner rather than later .Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Adrian Cook said:

Thank you.tozzin.like I've said before you guys are the best .As you must know by now I love my Sheffield knives .love researching them and love the workmanship on them and feel so lucky to be able to come on this forum for the help .so many thanks again and hope I can keep coming back again and again if that's ok.If I can help others that are in the same position as me I will gladly help .Been living in Essex all my life but Sheffield is where I do intend to visit hopefully sooner rather than later .Thank you.

Please try and come before this council rubber stamp the destruction of all our old cutlery factories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely Sheffield historical society will step in and try to stop it .Seems like most councils are so short sighted.Its your history (Our history)they are destroying.Needs some some good old British protesting.Bring it on .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Adrian Cook said:

Surely Sheffield historical society will step in and try to stop it .Seems like most councils are so short sighted.Its your history (Our history)they are destroying.Needs some some good old British protesting.Bring it on .

The historical society are fighting a losing battle, the council has just consented to an old cutlery being knocked down to build flats, that's all that gets built flats for students, they could have retained the outer fabric of the firm and some of it's internal features. If you look on Google Earth and put either of these roads in , Sidney Street, Arundel Street, Mary Street, Sylvester Street, Carver Street these streets and many more up to West Street this was the hub of cutlery making in the 19th century .

if you look up Sidney Street, you will find a large car park at the junction of Matilda St, firstly the car park is where George Butlers stood prior to demolition, on the corner of Matilda Street stood a blade forge of Jessop & Smiths, they ceased making blades a few years ago but the building has been saved and is now flats and offices. Our council are not concerned about the history of Sheffield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't know what to say tozzin except they damm well ought to be concerned .About 5 months ago I bought a new penknife from Micheal May which apparently he bought up a lot of Trevor Abblet machinery (I consider myself very lucky to have acquired 3of Trevor,s knives just after he passed away) so I suppose what I'm saying is there is a market out there still for beautiful Sheffield knives and up and coming cutler's .These councils all they seem to worry about is lining there pockets without a thought of the history they are destroying .Just Two Words .ITs  Ludicrous.Adrian.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×