Anyone remember the very innocent social dances at churches like St.Patricks, St.Thomas Mores and St Charles atAttercliffe? They also held them at a little chapel on Herries Road, which is now a funeral directors.

I do remember our next door neighbour on the Manor going to St Theresa's school hall once or twice a week to a whist drive and or a beetle drive, I never understood it.

It seems surprising but back  in the 1930's & 1940's , apart from cinemas , chapels & churches were the centre of most  social activity. As well as weekily activities many put on  a show each year such as light  opera (Gilbert & Sullivan) . My family attended Grimesthorpe Wesleyan Reform Chapel & the photos show productions of HMS Pinafore & Iolanthe probably taken 1930's wirh my mum in dad Jim & Marjorie Moore (nee Morris) in them. THe standard of these shows was quite hight too.. In the 1950's & 1960 there was an active youth club there who put on shows too.

GWRC hms pinafore with mum & dad  late 1930s.jpg

GWRC Iolanthe probably Les Cusworth Jim Moore Ken Morris late 1930s.jpg

GWRC late 1930s mum & dad.jpg

This church community activity extended into the 1960/70's with Shiregreen Congs, for instance, producing at least one play a year, having regular dances and socials as well as pea and pie suppers. A deal of fun and with not a drop of alcohol in sight! Sadly, we all seem to be too "sophisticated" to enjoy such simple pleasures these days.

We had regular socials at Handsworth Methodist.  The men of the church always put on a concert on New Year's Eve, great fun for us all.