Howard Street Congregational Church

Jim North

Hello!

Does anyone have any information on Howard Street Congregational/Independent Chapel, and an early minister - Rev Samuel Barnard (died 1809?)

please contact Jim North at jimnorth1947@gmail.com

Many thanks

Jim

11 hours ago, Jim North said:

Hello!

Does anyone have any information on Howard Street Congregational/Independent Chapel, and an early minister - Rev Samuel Barnard (died 1809?)

Many thanks

Jim

There is a very brief mention of the Chapel,  Rev. Samuel Barnard, his predecessor and successor in "REMINISCENCES OF OLD SHEFFIELD, ITS STREETS AND ITS PEOPLE. Edited by Robert Eadon Leader" 1875.

QUOTE -

Everard (Mr. Samuel Everard): There are some other points in the history of Howard Street Chapel that I should like to mention. You can get a list of its ministers from the ordinary sources of information. The fourth, the Rev. J. Reece (1797) was a very amiable and exemplary Christian man, characterised by a singular simplicity and originality in his preaching. Montgomery related how he heard him preach a funeral sermon which produced a great impression on his mind. After four years ministry he died, January 8, 1801, universally respected ; and a handsome subscription was raised to make provision for his widow and children. The next minister was the Rev. Samuel Barnard, and he was succeeded by the Rev. James Mather, a very energetic preacher and useful man who regarded it as one special part of his ministerial duty to endeavour to neutralise, and, if possible, to extirpate from the minds of his flock, the " hyper-Calvinistic" views which his immediate predecessor had promulgated and instilled. In this he was to a great extent successful. Mr. Mather removed from Sheffield to Birmingham in 1827, and died in London in 1840.

UNQUOTE

EDIT - I have had a closer look and the Chapel is mentioned a few times in the above publication, there were apparently a few well known Sheffield names buried there, it may be worth you looking through the free Google or other free ebook. I remember the Chapel as quite an imposing building which I think must have been demolished for Arundal Gate in the mid 60's, I wonder what happened to the graves?

The Local Register and Chronological Account of Occurrences and Facts Connected With The Town and Neighbourhood of Sheffield 1830” has this -

1807 - July 7. Decease of the Rev. S. Barnard, minister of Howard Street Chapel, "sincerely and justly lamented by a numerous and respectable congregation, more than 500 of whom attended his funeral” — Sheffield Mercury.

UNQUOTE

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 10:02, Jim North said:

Hello!

Many thanks

Jim

You can find much information about the Howard Street Congregational /Independent Chapel in the Sheffield Archives on Shoreham Street .

I was looking for an ancestor who was a preacher there and found  much information other than the usual baptisms, marriages and burials, some have the minutes of there meetings which I took a copy of as they are on film rather than fiche. Film A136   /.SY 344/K1/1  Howard Street 2757.