Sheffield Rambling Groups

Stunmon

Recreational walking didn't seem to be something that my parents did in the 1950s.  I wonder if it was a bit of an elitist thing then with people belonging to rambling clubs rather than just setting out to walk as we do today? Does anyone remember any early rambling groups?

The working man's Clarion Club springs to mind...  As a young family man in the 1970's we walked with other church members in a group led by "Aunty" Barbara...our destination ,seemingly, always " just around the next bend".

In the 60s/70s and I think back into the 50s or earlier in Sheffield there were the Ramblers Association (RA) group and the Halcyon group as well as the Clarion. May have been a Co-op group as well - can't remember when they started. The RA group was renowned for doing longer walks and going faster, so we generally went with the Halcyon when I was a kid. Later my parents spread to other groups too.  I don't think anyone would have called them elitist though - maybe tending more to middle than working class, with a good few teachers and the odd solicitor in their members, but all walks were based round bus travel (Pond St bus station could be heaving on a Sunday morning when the Bakewell and Castleton buses went out about 9.30), there were other families walking and no-one had expensive kit.  Quite common for people to migrate from the 1930s cycling clubs to rambling clubs post war once they had children.     The Clarion had a hut for staying out for the weekend, on the sharp bend just past Dore on the way to Fox House. Think it's now been pulled down and rebuilt as a private house. .      . 

Mr G H B Ward, Founded the Clarion Club in 1901 according to this article.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 02 January 1939

Capture 9.JPG

I don't know if they still do but I am sure I remember The Star (Sheffield Star) used to print an article giving full directions for a walk each week.

There also used to be information in the notices section from the various rambling clubs about the walk(s) they would be doing the next weekend with time and place for meeting up.

Councillor Peter Price wrote a book about his favourite walks together with sketch maps...that was over 30 years ago though.

Get a copy of Saturday's Star. In the "what's on" section they give details of organised rambles for the week. Included are meeting places as well as the bus times the ramblers intend to use.