Aerial view postcard

Arif

I bought this postcard today and was so thrilled with it I thought I would share it. I would broadly guess it was taken in the 1930s, would anyone like to narrow it down a little? I like the long gone buildings and factories, for instance Walker and Hall's premises at the top of Howard Street. Feel free to comment! I've scanned at a hi res so you can look further and download. Thank you.

Aerial_View_undated.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arif said:

I bought this postcard today and was so thrilled with it I thought I would share it. I would broadly guess it was taken in the 1930s, would anyone like to narrow it down a little? I like the long gone buildings and factories, for instance Walker and Hall's premises at the top of Howard Street. Feel free to comment! I've scanned at a hi res so you can look further and download. Thank you. 

Is Saint Paul's being demolished? If so I think that would make it 1938.

9 minutes ago, boginspro said:

Is Saint Paul's being demolished? If so I think that would make it 1938.

I noticed that, it looks as though it is. So, St Pauls was closed in 1937 and demolished one year later. Just one year later the horrors of the second world war would unfold and soon the face of Sheffield would change forever. Sorry, bit deep that!

2 hours ago, Arif said:

On second thoughts is it Walker & Hall? I may be wrong there, sorry.

On the top corner of Howard Street is Howard Chambers with the clock, Walker and Hall to the right in front of the Central Library. Here is 1937, Saint Paul's still in one piece -----     https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW055231 

1937.png

• Like 1

It's a very interesting picture  Arif , thanks for posting it, I have just noticed the Albert Hall, gutted by fire on the  night of 14th July 1937 and stood like that for a few years. You can clearly see it's internal layout from the post card.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boginspro said:

It's a very interesting picture  Arif , thanks for posting it, I have just noticed the Albert Hall, gutted by fire on the  night of 14th July 1937 and stood like that for a few years. You can clearly see it's internal layout from the post card.

I find there is more to see the more you look. Back to your earlier post, thank you, I keep forgetting that Howard Street used to run right up to Norfolk Street, before my time. 

16 hours ago, unrecordings said:

All I can say is thanks for posting - that's a fantastic photo

You are welcome