The changing face of West Street in Sheffield City Centre

Sheffield History

West Street has definitely changed. Some places and buildings are no longer there, some have been repurposed and renamed (such as Bloo88) and some are about to be demolished.

What memories do you have of West Street?

• Like 1

Before I even play the film my instant reaction is "how did they get away with doing that to the ground floor of the West Street Hotel". From what I have seen of many posts on here I think that if I ever get back to Sheffield I will be walking round bumping in to things because I will be looking up all the time.

The last time I was in Sheffield, I can't remember what year but it was a long time back, I thought I would try a couple of my old haunts and as the Adelphi had long gone the first was the West Street. I turned round just inside the door, it was terrible, all purple and chrome. I'll stop moaning now and play the film.

If someone said they we're going down to West Street! they were either signing on or going on a pub crawl(did both)

The Wesleyan Chapel(1804) on the corner of Carver Street and West Street was of late used by the Lutheran Church before becoming the Walkabout pub.

Ex United player Billy Dearden had a fish & chip on West Street just over the road from the end of Carver Street.

There was little mesters workshop located on the first floor of a building nearby (think he was a Filemaker?).

Used to go to Glossop Road baths in the mid 60's, there was a little café close by which was our first stop after a swim, they sold penny crusts, the buttered end of a loaf. Best thing ever for starving little kids.