The Cure - Phoenix Hall, Sheffield Poly, May 1981

• 9 months later...
Craig Farina

Hi Dodger

Just saw The Cure got an award at the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame thing and I just came across your excellent piece when checking on the venue for this gig. I was at the Poly from 77-81 and knew I'd seen The Cure there. But the fan sites say it was at Sheffield Uni. Your article confirmed that I hadn't completely lost my memory. 

Anyway, great article and remembered in excellent detail! Someone has uploaded a tape of the show on YouTube - seems legit as it precisely matched the set list reported on the fan sites minus a few at the beginning and one at the end. Very strange to hear these things emerge out of otherwise vague and fuzzy memories. Here's the link if you're interested or haven't seen/heard it:

https://youtu.be/060u1Uo674s

I might have the ticket stub somewhere - will send it through if I find it. By the way, much respect if you were in Clock DVA - still got my 4 Hours single, a true classic of that time which still stands up today.

Belated thanks again for the write up - very much appreciated. 

Cheers

Craig