The Food Police !

hilldweller

Having a taste for savoury foods I've always been fond of cream crackers with cheese.

This last couple of years I've been disappointed to find that cream crackers of any brand are now baked to an insipid off-white colour instead of the rich golden brown that they used to be. They don't crunch any more but rather melt into slush under your molars. I used to enjoy the cheese flavoured "Chedders" but they too, seem to be baked to a Dulux Colour Chart shade of off/white magnolia and are so bland as to make you retch. My solution is to properly bake the crackers , ten at a time, under the grill to a rich golden brown. Don't tell anyone, the Food Police will be knocking at my door.

It would appear that the "Food Police" have ruined things yet again by instructing manufacturers not to bake food as they used to in case it produces acrylamide, a substance that might, possibly, perhaps, cause cancer if administered to rodents in MASSIVE doses.

We can't have suger in our drinks any more, must not drink more than one unit of alcohol every Preston Guild and chips apparently cause instant death.

We don't eat ready meals, I eat lean red meat almost every day and consume quantities of full-fat cheese, my cholesterol levels continue to amaze my GP, coming in south of 4.5 every time.

The local Lincolnshire sausage can be grilled to a nice deep chocolate brown and is very tasty if you ignore the green bits in it.

For the first twenty years of my life, breakfast consisted of toast done with a long home-made toasting fork in front of a coal fire. The best efforts produced toast that varied across the slice from raw bread to carbonised charcoal.

I might not live to be a hundred and twenty, (who would want to), but at least I will have enjoyed my food.   

hilldweller        

• Like 1

As another grumpy old soul I  suspect the Food Police are just a branch of a more devious group which would have us all Medicalised.

I agree entirely  hilldweller .  Are we just grumpy old people or is it that we remember better food before this health thing and super market plastic wrapped rubbish came in.  We don't eat much meat now, the local butchers have all been bought out and closed down by large companies whose meat is more like eating cardboard.  I personally like food well cooked, pie tops browned and toast well toasted. One thing that annoys me where I live now is chip shops selling thin undercooked pale coloured chips, I hope they are still better in Sheffield.

Another thing which no longer really exists is the "seasonality" of fruit and veg. Crisp autumn/early winter days for blanched celery...which still had the best bit...the root...attached and smelled of...celery. We only had (Blackpool) tomatoes, lettuce,beans, peas in summer and strawberries in early summer. Now we get them all year round, They have been grown globally and, as a result, have MASSIVE carbon footprints. They are also mostly tasteless and bland.

The saddest thing is that almost everything has to be in packets ( for ease of handling by supermarkets)...and often the packet contains too much for a singleton but worst of all is the idea that all fruit and veg should be perfect with the result that £millions is wasted ( but we end up paying for it all in increased prices) and then we have the current marketing ploy of selling a small percentage as being "wonky"... at a small discount.

I was once told by the French Ministry of Agriculture's representative in the North of England ( he was based in Sheffield) that the average English housewife hadn't got a clue about buying fresh produce...no wonder, its all wrapped in plastic!