Old Firth Park Library on Firth Park Road

Stunmon

Does anyone know what this building has become? I did hear it was now a mosque but that may not be true? I worked there in the library in the early 1990s. What an elegant place it was then!!!!

On 19/06/2018 at 11:57, Stunmon said:

Does anyone know what this building has become? I did hear it was now a mosque but that may not be true? I worked there in the library in the early 1990s. What an elegant place it was then!!!!

No, its not a mosque. But it is used for after school classes for teaching Quran and Arabic. Also used for other community based projects. 

It would make a wonderful library as well!  It was my first library, I joined from Hucklow Road School back in 1949 and used it until the 1980s.

I remember in 1946/47 going with my mother to look ,on a daily basis, at the notice boards  outside the library where shipping lists were displayed. All adverts in the newspapers were redacted just leaving a few articles and the names of the vessels, the date and at which port they were due to dock...Dad was coming home to be demobbed after RAF service in the Middle east and she wanted to know when his ship was due home.

7 hours ago, Stunmon said:

Thanks for reply. I must say it would make a magnificent mosque!!!!!

There's a shortage of libraries and too many Mosques. Mosques are popping up not because there's a need for them, mainly because someone has a grudge against some  mosque committee members and then decides to open up his own.