The Yorkshire Grey Pub

leesmiffo

I just wondered if anyone knows of any decent photos of the yorkshire grey pub that was in sheffield centre.

I mainly need one of the hanging sign, which from one very blurry image looks like a soldier maybe ?

I build miniatures of Sheffield buildings for people and have a commission for this particular pub, but cant seem to find any good enough images of the sign.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lee.

It was the Minerva originally, then in the late 70’s became “Bar Rio” until maybe 83-84, when it changed hands again and became The Yorkshire Grey, until is closed and was demolished o/a 2006.

tozzin, you are absolutely right in thinking the original pub emblem was something resembling a horse, as this shot from ‘84 shows the facade at that time. Oddly though, the animal looks more like a Roebuck than a horse, which was the name of the pub across the road? I’d be pretty certain the image is the animal of the Whitbread Brewery’s logo, made more credible if the Yorkshire Grey was a Whitbread house? Or, I wonder if the shopfitters had got the wrong address and by the time they had it all nailed on, it was too late? :) On the later photos from the 90’s, until it closed o/a 2006, it maintained the infantryman image.

Bar Rio. That brought back memories of music so loud, you had to fight against it to get in the door. Plus, it seemed to attract a rather ‘eclectic’ mix of clientele, given it was a ‘fun pub’. What I do remember is that there was an almost guaranteed mass brawl every weekend, which spilled out into the surrounding car parks and was probably more entertaining as spectator, rather than combatant!?!

FC9B0D21-6B6E-474C-80B4-DE36A2DD4C18.jpeg

5FCF81DD-41EB-4C3A-A307-E1307E1C607D.jpeg

Apologies for the late reply, i have been away.

Thankyou all for the info and pics, just what i needed.

Dont know what i did, but i looked on picture sheffield and couldnt find anything.

This 1972 Picture Sheffield photograph of the Minerva Tavern/Yorkshire Grey(bottom right) and the area behind the pub show the vast changes that have taken place when compared to the modern day Google Earth photograph.

Minerva Tavern.jpg

Minerva Tavern 2.jpg

On 21 June 2018 at 09:02, RLongden said:

It was the Minerva originally, then in the late 70’s became “Bar Rio” until maybe 83-84, when it changed hands again and became The Yorkshire Grey, until is closed and was demolished o/a 2006.

tozzin, you are absolutely right in thinking the original pub emblem was something resembling a horse, as this shot from ‘84 shows the facade at that time. Oddly though, the animal looks more like a Roebuck than a horse, which was the name of the pub across the road? I’d be pretty certain the image is the animal of the Whitbread Brewery’s logo, made more credible if the Yorkshire Grey was a Whitbread house? Or, I wonder if the shopfitters had got the wrong address and by the time they had it all nailed on, it was too late? :) On the later photos from the 90’s, until it closed o/a 2006, it maintained the infantryman image.

Bar Rio. That brought back memories of music so loud, you had to fight against it to get in the door. Plus, it seemed to attract a rather ‘eclectic’ mix of clientele, given it was a ‘fun pub’. What I do remember is that there was an almost guaranteed mass brawl every weekend, which spilled out into the surrounding car parks and was probably more entertaining as spectator, rather than combatant!?!

FC9B0D21-6B6E-474C-80B4-DE36A2DD4C18.jpeg

5FCF81DD-41EB-4C3A-A307-E1307E1C607D.jpeg

IT is the Whitbread logo.

I was a little puzzled with the infantryman sign for the Yorkshire Grey pub. The Yorkshire Grey was a type of coach horse ,which became extinct in 1937, and there are many pubs bearing the name of the horse and not the mythical infantryman.

Yeah, i wondered about that, Why the infantryman and not the horse that you would expect ?

It seems there was a military reference “Yorkshire Gray/Grey” too?......

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1379006

...last paragraph

“Above the entrance bay, in a pedimented brick and stone aedicule, a bas relief of a mounted soldier in Yorkshire Gray uniform and with drawn sword, in the background a castle; carved by "Mr Plows" in 1878. INTERIOR: retains only cornices from late C19 interior.“

Interesting!..From a comprehensive wiki list of army nicknames the only references to "grey" are:-

Glasgow Greys...70th ( Surrey) Regiment of Foot later 2nd Battalion East Surrey Regiment.

Grey Lancers ( Empress of India).