Church Street, Ecclesfield - what do you remember?

Sheffield History

Church Street Ecclesfield Sheffield.jpg

Any Ecclesfield residents remember any of these places/faces?

It's not as busy on this stretch of road with people anymore is it?

2 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Church Street Ecclesfield Sheffield.jpg

Any Ecclesfield residents remember any of these places/faces?

It's not as busy on this stretch of road with people anymore is it?

Looks like this was taken between the Griffin and Tankard (Stocks) pubs. There was a chippy on the left of this shot and a bookies on the right. Also on the left was a butcher/ fishmonger. Think it was Alan? That was in the seventies. Believe chippy is now a cafe.

11 hours ago, Martin Ede said:

Looks like this was taken between the Griffin and Tankard (Stocks) pubs. There was a chippy on the left of this shot and a bookies on the right. Also on the left was a butcher/ fishmonger. Think it was Alan? That was in the seventies. Believe chippy is now a cafe.

I remember mid to late 60's there used to be a bakery on the right. Used to get a penny bag of buns on the way to the Friday club at Gatty hall.

I didn't live in Ecclesfield but the Griffin was a regular port of call on a Sunday night's drinking session. 

Interesting, I thought I knew Ecclesfield well but don't remember that group of buildings past Bennets the butchers, (now an estate agent). I guess they were demolished early 60s and the church grounds extended.

That structure in the corner used to be a drinking fountain in Ecclesfield Park, I think it was associated with the Woodcock family but it didn't produce any water in my day.

Ecclesfield.jpg

The bakery was Bolton’s,my dad Syd Moss had the fruit shop opposite and his friend Peter Bennett ran the butchers next door,the shop on the corner was known as Nurse Roses habidashery,the buildings on the left were the reading rooms and at the end of that building was a little sweet shop that had steps up to it,my dad had the chip shop early days and I remember it passing onto Mrs Howarth,my dad also had sweet shop next to the library ,behind which was the slaughter house which was run by Wilds butchers,happy days in Ecclesfield