Page Hall Mission school

Lyn 1

c 1902 - some records I was  looking at mentioned Page Hall Mission school. Any ideas of where it was and when it finished?

Thanks

Hi Lynn,

The parent church was also known (at the same time) as Holy Cross Mission (depending on various factors) and was on Page Hall Road.  I've not been able to pinpoint it or find much else though.

It was mentioned in the minutes of tthe Guardians of the Sheffield Union. Thye were no longer going to send children to the school there. 

I've attempted to look on maps for it with no joy but have a vague idea of something else on this forum some time ago about something similar with the entrance possibly being on Rushby St. The building is no longer there but has been replaced with a modern building that I believe sells Asian clothes. 

Where did you get your info from Edmund?

In the early 1900s there was a newspaper letters column debate about the name (1 attached below - J.Beckingham Burt was the minister).  There was also disagreement towards the ecclesiastical developments there - it was an Evangelical building but was tending towards Roman Catholic ways.

The mission room was built mainly using the contribution left by a lady of Evangelical views, who was in the congregation of Christ Church, Pitsmoor.

1814909901_HolyCrossMission1903.png.b7ba7a4ef6597fc8f014ecdbc91c66dc.png