Spital Hill in 1970

Sheffield History

Yes, I remember the place quite well in those days. With a range of shops including a "swap shop" and a few decent drinking holes... the place had a character of its own and wasn't notorious in those days for just drugs and trouble.

Like a vintage version of Cash Convertors. They bought stuff from desperate people for peanuts and then sold them for roasted cashews.

2 hours ago, lysander said:

Wasn't The Coliseum demolished to make way for a filling station?

Yes, it was a MURCO filling station.

My grandparents used to live just round the corner on Verdon Street. My grandad used to be on the door at the Coliseum and I have a picture of him in his uniform. My mother used to get in for nothing if he was on the door.

When it closed my grandad got hold of some of the thick stage curtains and used them to decorate a clothes chest which I believe is still in the family somewhere. I always think about it when I drive past and wonder how many people living there now remember the history of the area.

I have only ever seen one interior picture of the Coliseum.

I was 10 when they moved away and the old houses on verdon Street were demolished. I still remember the old stairs leading up to the Victoria railway station from the Wicker arches and wish one day they would open them up again and I could go up them just for old times sake.

• Like 1

On 15/06/2018 at 23:44, winco1960 said:

My grandparents used to live just round the corner on Verdon Street. My grandad used to be on the door at the Coliseum and I have a picture of him in his uniform. My mother used to get in for nothing if he was on the door.

When it closed my grandad got hold of some of the thick stage curtains and used them to decorate a clothes chest which I believe is still in the family somewhere. I always think about it when I drive past and wonder how many people living there now remember the history of the area.

I have only ever seen one interior picture of the Coliseum.

I was 10 when they moved away and the old houses on verdon Street were demolished. I still remember the old stairs leading up to the Victoria railway station from the Wicker arches and wish one day they would open them up again and I could go up them just for old times sake.

I used to go to the Coli every week back in the 50's. If it was an "A" film we used to stand on the steps and ask people that were going in to get us our ticket. We were supposed to then sit with them but we never did. I lived on Brunswick road before all the old terraced houses were demolished. Very happy memories of Pitsmoor as a kid.

On 10/06/2018 at 07:04, Sheffield History said:

11F92EAB-2D3D-4BF3-972A-4C05B82FAA59.jpeg

The shops further up on the left of the photo are on Ellesmere Road, my parents used to own one at end of 60s, selling groceries, they bought it from Shentalls who had a few shops around Sheffield in the 60s. There was a church on the triangular ground that's still there now, I remember it being demolished.

13 hours ago, Jake's Grandad said:

The shops further up on the left of the photo are on Ellesmere Road, my parents used to own one at end of 60s, selling groceries, they bought it from Shentalls who had a few shops around Sheffield in the 60s. There was a church on the triangular ground that's still there now, I remember it being demolished.

9273B918-5532-42F8-A08B-BCF097760268.jpeg