Ladybower and Ashopton

Sheffield History

I have occasionally been fly fishing on Ladybower, using one of the rowing boats.

If you row under the viaduct towards Derwent it seems you can nearly touch the top of the arches. The water must be very deep.

On 10/06/2018 at 21:16, rover1949 said:

I have occasionally been fly fishing on Ladybower, using one of the rowing boats.

If you row under the viaduct towards Derwent it seems you can nearly touch the top of the arches. The water must be very deep.

No chance of touching the arches this week rover1941

Derwent 2018.jpg

• Like 1

Some photographs of Derwent Village,  i`m not sure what buildings these ruins were part of!  can anyone enlighten me as to what they are?

Derwent Villiage 1.jpg

Derwent Villiage 2.jpg

Derwent Villiage 3.jpg

Derwent Villiage 4 jpg.jpg

• Like 1

Probably of no interest to anyone else, but one of the photos here shows the location of my Dad’s bench, sited and dedicated to his memory for almost twenty years now...

1E736010-4794-4D20-A034-D983E18BCFFD.jpeg

• Like 1

On 24/10/2018 at 21:09, RLongden said:

Thanks for the links RLongden. 

In one of the links about the Hall it says Charles Boot carried out the demolition of the Hall, wasn't he the guy who demolished Clumber House after it was destroyed by fire?

Next time I'm out at Derwent I'll look out for your dad's bench!  In the early seventies i installed some heating in the building called the Old House over on the opposite side of the reservoir from your dad's bench, if I'm remembering correctly it was leased at the time to a Mr Ollerenshaw JP.

Yes, you’re correct about that and most of the treasures from Clumber House were either relocated to Thornbridge Hall (Boot’s own Stately pile in Derbyshire), or else sold off and shipped across the Atlantic. Our export controls weren’t what they are now, so most of our historical masterpieces were bought up by the American wealthy, who had none of their own.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clumber_Park

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/eastmidlands/series6/grand_designs.shtml

Sutton Scarsdale Hall is another example of this, just West of the M1, below J29 is now all but a shell, after being dismantled brick-by-brick, by a US billionaire, who wanted to rebuild it exactly as it was, somewhere Stateside. They meticulously took everything apart (the roof, the wall panels, the floorboards, everything) and packed in into crates, for the ocean voyage to the US. The story goes that before the project could be completed, the Wall Street crash ruined the billionaire and he had no money to carry on. What was left of the house in Derbyshire just stands as a gutted shell and all the crates of materials stripped from the house and shipped over, were left in storage, never to be rebuilt. At least that what I read somewhere?

It’s not strictly speaking what is says on “Wiki” however, but never let the truth get in the way of a good story eh? :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutton_Scarsdale_Hall

As for Dad’s bench. He and Mum were frequent walkers around ‘the dams’, but whilst out on one of these strolls, he tragically collapsed and died not far from the spot where the bench now stands. It seemed fitting that his memorial should be here, in a place that he loved and surrounded by such beautiful scenery...

28BD03C1-6C4C-416F-BCC5-9CDBFE16EB89.jpeg

Looking at this post again I wondered how many of the stone carvings / gargoyles etc. were saved before the flooding. For instance, Peeping Tom from Derwent Hall stables is / was displayed at Losehill Hall Youth Hostel. There must have been many other pieces of stone work saved but where are they all?

peeping_tom.jpg

Construction of Ashopton Viaduct photographer W.A.Smith. Information added to the back of photograph at a later date. "Construction of roadway being prepared for Ladybower Dam. The original road can be seen X at left of picture and came round left of picture near where this photograph was taken, all this is now flooded

IMG_20221107_231454.thumb.jpg.90fd78332ed6e2c51b673e7eaa89fccd.jpg

IMG_20221107_230048.thumb.jpg.398de6a23e63ad27ec90807a3b4e3c06.jpg

Ashopton Inn, Sheffield to Glossop road, demolished in the 1940's to make way for construction of Ladybower Reservoir. s07091.jpg.76860fd7f73169c12d942905e8954d4c.jpgs07091

The turnpike road from Sheffield to Glossop was opened in 1821. Starting from Sheffield, there was a long, steady climb to Moscar and then a fairly steep descent to the River Derwent, where the road crossed the river. In those coaching days both man and beast would require refreshment before commencing the next long pull up the Snake Pass over the Pennines, and near the bridge over the Derwent Ashopton Inn was built, the date carved upon the stables being 1824. The building had a pleasant but unpretentious late Georgian air and fitted comfortably into the landscape. It derived its name from the River Ashop which flowed into the Derwent nearby. In the course of time a few houses grew up around the Inn and the village of Ashopton was born.The Inn continued to be successful when the motor car was born and was also a favourite place for ramblers.The Inn was sadly flooded to make way for the Ladybower Reservoir.

Sheffield and District Motor Club at Ashopton Inn before the construction of Ladybower Reservoir. Group includes W262 which is a Cavendish built by Sheffield Motor Company. 1905. s15389.jpg.cada5a8c597c9171bab4492bb58bffe5.jpgs15389

From left to right; W 262 9 h.p. Cavendish; unknown motor cycle combination; WA 41 looks like Cavendish, but the number W 41 was originally given to a Wolseley; W 96 Progress Quad; W 89 6 h.p. De Dion; W13 61/2 h.p. Humber. For more information see 'Cars from Sheffield' by Stephen Myers. Local Studies Ref. 629.222 SQ.

Ashopton Village, Sheffield to Glossop Road, demolished in the 1940's to make way for construction of Ladybower Reservoir. Toll Bar Cottage, foreground, Ashopton Inn and garage in background. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s20490&pos=17&action=zoom&id=23091

Construction of Ashopton Viaduct and Ladybower Reservoir, Ashopton Inn, Sheffield to Glossop road, in foreground. s07575.jpg.6817bb4495c7e06fa7da011a9f8cbb9d.jpgs07575

Ruins of Ashopton Inn, Sheffield to Glossop road, during the construction of Ladybower Reservoir. 

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s20489&pos=3&action=zoom&id=23090