Lea Bros Cabinet Case And Cardboard Box Maunufacturers

DJayne

Hi, does anyone have any information or photographs of Lea Bros Cabinet Case and Cardboard box manufacturers. Dating back from approx 1871 to 1911 this was my 4th great uncle Cornelius Lea's business based on Cavendish Street passed on to his sons Cornelius H Lea and Arthur T Lea. Any info would be of great interest. 

Hi DJayne
I've found a couple of items in the Newspaper's of that era.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 10 May 1890.

Lea 1.JPG

Lea 2.JPG

Hi Syrup

Thanks for these newspaper articles, I have actually read of the Amonia case and the bankruptcy in articles I found on the BNA website, but much appreciated to see again. All info is of great interest thanks.

You probably have all this information and as you know the name Lea is or was very rare in Sheffield.

Lea Thomas, tailor, 11 Watson walk

Lea. Isaac merchants' agent, 25 Change alley; h 237 Glossop road , this house has been demolished.

29 Cavendish Street Lea Cornelius Henry, cabinet case manufacturer ( no "& Son" )

AFTER ONLY ONE LEA ENTRY IN PREVIOUS DIRECTORIES NOW THERES THREE.
Lea Cornelius Hy. cabinet case ma. 29 Cavendish st
Lea. Job Barnaba.s, boot & shoo maker, 23 Staveley rd
Lea William, boot maker, 158 Broomspring lane

Lea Cornelius Henry, manufacturer of cutlery cases, 29 Cavendish street. T.N. 3625
Lea :Mrs. Elizabeth, boot & shoe maker. 23 Staveley rd
Lea Frederick W. hairdresser, 158 Broomball street

THE BROTHERS LIVE NEXT DOOR TO EACH OTHER IN CAVENDISH STREET. CLOSE TO THE CABINET CASE FIRM.
29 Lea. Cornelius Henry, cabinet case maker
31 Lea Cornelius Henry
33 Lea Arthur Thomas, manager

2 hours ago, tozzin said:

You probably have all this information and as you know the name Lea is or was very rare in Sheffield.

Lea Thomas, tailor, 11 Watson walk

Lea. Isaac merchants' agent, 25 Change alley; h 237 Glossop road , this house has been demolished.

29 Cavendish Street Lea Cornelius Henry, cabinet case manufacturer ( no "& Son" )

AFTER ONLY ONE LEA ENTRY IN PREVIOUS DIRECTORIES NOW THERES THREE.
Lea Cornelius Hy. cabinet case ma. 29 Cavendish st
Lea. Job Barnaba.s, boot & shoo maker, 23 Staveley rd
Lea William, boot maker, 158 Broomspring lane

Lea Cornelius Henry, manufacturer of cutlery cases, 29 Cavendish street. T.N. 3625
Lea :Mrs. Elizabeth, boot & shoe maker. 23 Staveley rd
Lea Frederick W. hairdresser, 158 Broomball street

THE BROTHERS LIVE NEXT DOOR TO EACH OTHER IN CAVENDISH STREET. CLOSE TO THE CABINET CASE FIRM.
29 Lea. Cornelius Henry, cabinet case maker
31 Lea Cornelius Henry
33 Lea Arthur Thomas, manager

Tozzin

Thankyou so much for the above info, I know for sure that my ancestors were Cornelius, Job Barnabus, Arthur Thomas, and William of Cavandish Street, Stavely Road and Broomspring Lane. Do you mind me asking where you found the info from particularly 1911 as i didn't know that the brothers lived next door to each other, I'd be interested to have a look myself.  Many thanks.

2 hours ago, DJayne said:

Tozzin

Thankyou so much for the above info, I know for sure that my ancestors were Cornelius, Job Barnabus, Arthur Thomas, and William of Cavandish Street, Stavely Road and Broomspring Lane. Do you mind me asking where you found the info from particularly 1911 as i didn't know that the brothers lived next door to each other, I'd be interested to have a look myself.  Many thanks.

I have around twelve Whites Directories of Sheffield and I just looked through them.

4 hours ago, tozzin said:

I have around twelve Whites Directories of Sheffield and I just looked through them.

Thank you so much, I will try and search these Whites Directories myself.

4 hours ago, Edmund said:

Here are copies of the documents - 1911 census and Whites Directory

1987065458_ArthurTLea1911Census.jpg.ab0db0efae77bb20eaab635f59296077.jpg

760673844_CHenryLea1911Census.jpg.28e3b64537226eea3c3c2a8a29ce3b72.jpg

1313979901_CHenryLeaJunior1911Census.jpg.c6f1c7fb61036ea9fb5cde480ca72be1.jpg

1721573787_Lea1911WhitesDirectory.thumb.png.d3feedb78b77a27c1403953dd3a8f192.png

Edmund

Thanks very much for the above that's brilliant I had only seen the census for 29 Cavendish Street previously, and I hadn't seen the Whites Directory entry before. 

54 minutes ago, RLongden said:

I had seen the first three pictures before but not the last one taken by Cornelius Lea, that's great to see thanks very much. I wish I could come across some photographs of Cornelius himself but have not been able to find anything so far. Thanks for posting.